20 September - please apply straight away because we review CVs and select candidates on a rolling basis
AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organisations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital. A Fortune 500 firm, see how we deliver what others can only imagine at aecom.com and @AECOM.
AECOM’s Geospatial & Data Services team is looking for an enthusiastic GIS Developer / Data Trainee to join our busy team of specialists in Basingstoke, Hampshire. This is a full time, permanent role in a team of more 30 staff located in offices across the UK and Ireland. It not only requires a good understanding of web development, database systems and desktop office systems but also the use of Python in ESRI ArcGIS, FME and QGIS.
You’ll provide critical GIS input to delivering projects on time and budget, and be responsible for helping to develop new tools, databases and applications, as well as maintaining existing systems.
You will be paired with an experienced member of the team who will guide and mentor you as you start working on live projects. Your initial role will to assist with the completion of tasks such as:
- Data capture, management, analysis and validation
- Data conversion and integration
- Map production
- Spatial and 3D analysis
- Design and build spatial and non-spatial databases
- Use of coding, automation and technology to efficiently deliver workflows and provide innovation into projects
- Meeting with internal clients to determine GIS requirements
You’ll be innovative and creative with strong interpersonal communication skills, and you’ll be comfortable working independently and as part of an interdisciplinary multi-cultural team.
Although you’ll be based in Basingstoke, you may occasionally work from other AECOM or client offices depending on project requirements.
Our focus is providing GIS and data management expertise on large environmental and infrastructure projections, as well as developing systems – such as mobile data capture, creation of toolsets for analysis or data analysis platforms – so other AECOM disciplines can carry out their work.
Recent development projects carried out by the Geospatial & Data Services team include:
- Land access and survey request website for a large infrastructure project
- Analysis toolset in SQL Server to assist in SHLAA Site Assessments
- Arboriculture survey data import system, using Arc PAD, Sharp Map and SQL Server to process data ready for reporting
- Web and database tools to improve QA / QC processes on a city-wide cycle infrastructure capture project
The team supports a wide range of projects, with current projects including high-profile major transport and infrastructure schemes, conventional and renewable power developments, industrial and commercial development projects, as well as GIS / data management projects led directly by the Geospatial & Data Services team.
Geospatial & Data Services is part of AECOM’s Environment business. AECOM’s planners, economists, designers, environmental specialists, architects, engineers, programme managers and technicians work collaboratively to address complex challenges at all scales. We regenerate urban areas, cities and regions; we create distinctive buildings and public spaces; we plan for the management of open space and natural systems; and we design and deliver infrastructure programmes.
AECOM invest heavily in the quality of our Trainees and the development opportunities provided enabling learning from some of the most talented and renowned experts in their field whilst bringing fresh approaches and further diversifying our workforce.
AECOM provides the opportunity to develop professionally whilst working within a positive environment, where learning and development is actively promoted and supported.
- Level 4 in computer programming
- Good problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills in written and spoken English
- Exemplary focus, ambition and attention to detail
- General GIS analysis
- Provide dynamic and innovative solutions
- GIS degree or a related field (relevant MSc is desirable) or a degree in Computer Science with a GIS background
- Experience in all or some of the following:
o SQL server (querying, spatial functions, TSQL, triggers, reporting services etc)
o Microsoft C#
o VBA (Excel and Access)
o Experience of DevExpress ASP.NET controls (desirable)
- Solid foundation in ArcGIS desktop software and extensions
- Sound understanding of spatial data structures and fundamental concepts of GIS
- Ability to complete work with GIS best practice and corporate standards in mind
- Ability to liaise with clients to promote GIS and deliver high-quality GIS input into their projects
- Able to work both on your own and with the wider GIS/project team based in multiple locations
- Proficient in the delivery of allocated project tasks to quality, time and budget requirements
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access)
- Experience of working with environment- and planning-related datasets
- Experience with working and controlling large number of evolving datasets
- Exposure to developing and maintaining web GIS and / or enterprise GIS technologies
- Exposure to developing and using mobile and GPS survey applications
What We Offer
When you join AECOM, you become part of a company that is pioneering the future . Our teams around the world are involved in some of the most cutting-edge and innovative projects and programs of our time, addressing the big challenges of today and shaping the built environment for generations to come. We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a company culture that champions inclusion, diversity and overall employee well-being through programs supported by company leadership. Our core values define who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which comes down to not only delivering a better world , but working to “make amazing happen” in each neighborhood, community and city we touch. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.