Graduate Fluid Dynamics or Mechanical Engineer - Advanced Digital Engineering – Consulting
Location: London, Solihull
Please note that we are able to offer Skilled Worker Visa sponsorship (previously Tier 2) for this role.
At Arup, we design and deliver ground-breaking icons through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we are a global firm of engineers, designers, planners, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
First principles understanding, research and advanced analysis are central to our work – we bring to bear the sharpest insight to solve intractable problems.
We integrate numerical simulation into the design process to improve performance and economy in diverse contexts including building physics, microclimate modelling, pollutant dispersal, mechanism design and industrial processes.
From the cooling of large stadia bowls to the design of wind and wave power devices or offshore structures, we use our fundamental understanding of fluid dynamics, heat transfer and mechanical engineering to push forward international design practice.
Are you interested in a career in Advanced Digital Engineering?
Right now we are looking for Graduate Engineers to join our team of bright professionals in our Midlands Campus and London offices. From your first day, you will join an unrivalled community of experts, where you will be supported in your career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification.
You will have a thorough understanding of mechanical engineering, fluid dynamics and heat transfer, and be interested in diverse applications of these skills. You will have the opportunity to become involved in other areas of our work and be open to developing associated materials science, mechanical, structural or electrical engineering skills.
Your role will be to undertake analysis and design in collaboration with the engineering design teams. You will use analytical and numerical methods such as CFD and dynamic thermal modelling as well as wind tunnel and other forms of testing to inform the design process. You will also interact with external architects, clients and design engineers on projects in diverse sectors including buildings, energy, industry and transport.
You will gain a thorough understanding of the role of an engineer, become experienced with sophisticated software tools and visit sites while working towards becoming a Chartered Engineer.
- To provide technical solutions and guidance to internal and external clients through the application of first principles, analysis and numerical methods
- Carry out design and field research
- Site visits
- Writing reports and preparing presentations
- Attending meetings with clients
The candidate will follow Arup's engineering institution accredited graduate training scheme.
What we look for
We are looking for graduates with curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the industry and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we would like to hear from you.
We are looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- Masters level degree in engineering science, mechanical, civil, or aeronautical engineering (2:1/60% or higher)
- A strong interest in the built environment, and the application of first principles engineering techniques to inform the design process. Specific interest in fluid dynamics. Interest in structures and/or electromagnetics would be an advantage
- Preference for grade A in maths and physics but not essential
- Interest/experience with numerical analysis or simulation
Arup offers extensive opportunities for your personal and career development and:
- A competitive salary and settling in allowance
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive benefits package, including a flexible benefits fund and highly competitive pension
- An interesting and varied workload
- The opportunity to work on international projects
- Technically challenging projects that will stretch and challenge your skills
- Opportunities to work abroad
- A supportive and friendly team, based in an excellent working environment
- Mentorship and support towards professional accreditation and career development opportunities
Interested in finding out more? Here's some additional Information.
Assessment Centres will take place from December 2020, so we recommend that you apply as soon as possible so you don't miss out on this exciting opportunity.
Shape your time with us.
Our goal is to shape a better world. And to do that, we need to make Arup a great place to work for everyone. If we want to solve problems for people around the world, we must seek and attract the best people from the widest talent pool and create an environment that supports and includes them. We aim to encourage a culture where people can be themselves and be valued for their contribution. We therefore welcome applications from diverse candidates. This includes people with disabilities so please discuss any adjustments that you may require throughout the selection and assessment process with your recruitment contact.
At Arup, you'll be a welcomed member of the team with opportunities to participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador) or by joining one of our staff networks for women, culture or LGBT+ people. As a firm with an increasingly agile workforce, we're open to flexible working arrangements where appropriate.
Reference ID: 1998
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Yes, temporarily due to COVID-19