Your new role
National Highways is recruiting an Engineer to join our Engineering Teams within our Operations Directorate in the South East of England. The role provides an excellent opportunity to apply your technology knowledge and skills to all aspects of highway infrastructure engineering and asset management. As a member of a 50-strong team of professional engineers, you will support us in developing and delivering circa £100m / year of maintenance and improvement schemes that ensure the Strategic Road Network in the South East safely meets the requirements of our customers now and into the future.
You will be required to drive as part of your role and you will need to have a full clean driving license to be considered for this position
What you’ll be leading on
- Ensuring the health and safety needs and wellbeing of customers and employees are fully considered and accounted for throughout the planning and delivery of each service activity
- Undertaking the identification and evaluation of asset data and needs in order to develop early solutions, in line with agreed methodologies and prioritisation criteria for highways technology assets
- Develop early solutions for improvements and/or renewals, including the compiling of relevant documents, evidence and options for value management, taking into account new techniques, materials, buildability, and costs
- Monitoring the delivery of agreed early solutions and plans, liaising with the relevant teams to identify and/or rectify issues
- Developing the technical briefs provided to the design organisation and managing the delivery of survey works for the improvement and renewal of assets.
- Providing technical support to Project Managers by assisting with materials approvals, vetting of contractors’ compliance, inspection support on site, and reviewing of Health and Safety Files
To be successful
- Degree or HND in a relevant discipline and appropriate experience, or equivalent
- Hold the Institute of Lighting Professionals Diploma
- Knowledge of asset condition assessment and degradation modelling
- Understanding of the Value Management process or cost benefit analysis of schemes
- Experience in working within budgets including the creation of a budget for scheme development
- Relevant experience in construction and delivery methods and knowledge of CDM 2015
A bit about us
Making sure our customers have safe and reliable journeys is at the heart of everything we do in Operations. We keep the roads open for business and play a key role in making sure the network we manage is fit for purpose today and for the future.
Why you should join us
At National Highways we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation
And finally, we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible