GKN Aerospace is the world's leading multi-technology tier 1 aerospace supplier. With 51 manufacturing locations in 14 countries, we serve over 90% of the world”s aircraft and engine manufacturers. We design and manufacture innovative smart aerospace systems and components. Every time you travel by air almost anywhere in the world, it is likely that GKN is helping you on your way.
We are looking for people who want to make a difference, talented members with the skills and passions to become the best of the future in what they do.
The Tooling Design Engineer (Fixed Term Contract) will support the A350 XWB Spar and A400m value streams as required. The Tooling design engineer will provide the core specialist support for all spar tooling used for the manufacture of composite wing spars, working within the GKN WA Tooling Quality procedures.
The primary task of the role is to update and manage the CAD models and drawings using Catia V5 within the business.
Working with the metrology team and using other measurement systems the tooling design engineer will update the CAD models and drawing data to capture the tooling’s current state.
This is a 6 month Fixed Term Contract (with possible extension)
1. Update the CAD data files to reflect the current state for all tooling using Airbus UK Catia V5 procedures and standards.
2. Manage the storage of all CAD data files for the on-site tooling using Airbus UK Catia V5 procedures and standards, within our Windchill storage system.
3. Work with the metrology team to facilitate accurate measurement of all on site tooling for data capture and re-certification.
4. Capture all lessons learnt from previous projects and investigate possible introduction of any new available tooling technical or process advancements.
5. Provide ROM cost estimates; cost models for tooling options and tooling quote ratification
6. Manage change to jigs and tools in the most cost efficient manner in line with raised of issue TDF’s within the SAP system.
7. Manage the supply chain to facilitate repairs, re-work and new tooling within the forecasted budget.
8. Investigation of new manufacturing techniques, equipment and automation
- Catia V5 Tool Design within the aerospace industry preferably using Airbus UK Catia V5 procedures and standards.
- A minimum of 5 years aircraft manufacturing experience in Aircraft systems and structures
- Formal apprenticeship in mechanical engineering or equivalent experience with relevant knowledge of composite tool manufacture
- Previous experience in a ME or Production Engineering role
- Willing to undertake CATIA training to expand the role and encompass tool design activities
Specific Functional Capability, Knowledge and Skills Required
- Catia V5 and using Airbus UK Catia V5 procedures and standards.
- Experience in designing, manufacturing and qualification of aerospace tooling to manufacture composite parts.
- Sound knowledge of measurement systems including laser scanning.
- High proficiency with all Microsoft Office software.
- Exceptional problem solving and communication skills.
- Project management and multi-tasking ability.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and technical skills.
- A good eye for detail Experience in tooling production for aerospace industry
- Experience within an engineering tool room.
- SAP User– be able to read all documentation within the SAP system.
- Ability to work with vendors, customers and employees
- Understand requirements of technical files
- Export Control understanding and regulatory requirements
- Understanding of CE marking requirements
- Understand requirements of technical files
Diversity Inclusion and Belonging (DIB)
As a global engineering company, innovation is what differentiates us from our competitors and is central to our success.
A balance of cultures, ethnicities and genders help bring new ideas and creativity to GKN. We need people of different backgrounds, with different skills and perspectives to spark originality, imagination and creativeness in our teams around the world.
GKN is an equal opportunity employer.
We treat all our employees and applicants fairly and are committed to ensuring that there is no discrimination or harassment against any employee or qualified applicant on the grounds of age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.