Imerys is a world leader in creating specialty solutions that improve everyday life through minerals. Our success is built on our people, and creating an environment where our 17,800 employees around the globe can thrive.
We passionately believe that our teams are at their best when they have the opportunity to learn, collaborate and find new ways to solve our customers’ challenges, no matter what part of the business they are in.
We can offer you a variety of work and real opportunities to make an impact and be part of our evolution.
If you want to grow your skills and develop your career, find out more at www.imerys.com
Shift Team Manager
Page 2 of 4 Shift Team Manager
The Shift Team Manager has responsibility for the day to day operation of the process. The duties continuously change as our business environment and operational needs evolve and is especially focused on quality or process orientated tasks in a technical, computerised and automated environment (POLAB, SPC, Expert system, PLC’s and other) aimed at improving performance, product quality, availability and technical efficiencies whilst minimising costs, environmental and safety risks.
KEY ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES1
This job description endeavours to cover the basic responsibilities and accountabilities of the job role. However, it cannot be deemed to be exhaustive and other ad hoc duties (within the capabilities of the incumbent) may be required.
Health and Safety
- Respects all site safety rules including those applicable for the safe engagement of contractors and visitors.
- Is actively involved in safety issues on site and undertakes regular safety observations.
- Ensures compliance with Imerys Aluminates Individual Safety Responsibilities standard (internal document on SHEQ drive) including:
o Is committed to his/her own safety
o Contributes actively to Health & Safety activities
o Is committed to developing his/her Health & Safety performance
- Does not start a task, or stops each on-going task if he/she feels the situation is unsafe. When possible takes the necessary actions to make it safe.
- Sets an exemplary example with regard to H&S matters
- Ensures risk assessments are reviewed, adhered to and are applicable for all work performed by the post holder and those under the supervision of the post holder
- Ensures that all safety training and toolbox talks within the team are up to date
- Ensures that all tasks are performed in compliance with site regulations and Health and Safety policy
- Strives actively for zero accidents environment within the production team (Safety Culture continues improvement)
- Follows near misses and their communication across the plant through his department near miss board and weekly meetings
- Completes Safety Observations to the agreed plan and ensure that the production team is on target with Safety Observations
- Maintains excellent standard of housekeeping in areas of influence
- Attends all safety meetings
Within the framework of the instructions of the Production Manager, Environment, Health and Safety policy and QA procedures:
- Ensures the good operations of the plant including ‘IP21’ which means running the plant at the highest performance level (throughput / Quality / Variable costs/Manual actions) and ensuring the supply of raw materials
- Ensures during planned kiln shuts where no shift teams are on site the lock off / permits to work of the whole plant for both contractors and engineering. Follows up the kiln shut planning in conjunction with Engineering department and is personally responsible (including H&S) for the production works
during those periods (works on the cooler, bricking the kiln , mills sorting’s )
- Provides support and communication to shift teams while checking and maintaining the shift team rota
- Improves Product Quality by following up the Quality Indicators on the kiln and mills, and by reacting in case of drifts (may have to create own indicators)
- Ensures the development of site software and its links with the automation project
- Continuously drives performance for all department indicators on the plant scorecard with key action points and milestones for off target indicators
- Ensures good communication and plant maintenance availability to engineering
1 This is not a complete and exhaustive list of all activities or assets under the responsibility of this position
Page 3 of 4 Shift Team Manager
- Participates in monthly stock take and liaise with Accounting Department in relation to month end activities
- Ensures availability of all products for customers by effective planning of the kiln and mills
- To work with the Process Engineers on process related issues such as the development of new products
- To follow and report on quality indicators drifts
- To carry out a plant visit every day and attend the weekly management walk around
- To order raw materials, in conjunction with the supply chain team, for the kiln and the mills in order to avoid running out of stock
- To be available (within reason) outside of office hours in order to resolve operational problems
- Be responsible for internal plant transfers
- Maintains and develops all ‘k’ factors (business measurement tools) as well as responsible for ‘k’ factors monthly and weekly reports
- Run or act as a key member on projects across the plant
- Responsible for providing support and communication to shift teams (training on site software), involvement in projects where communication to shift teams is key
- Sign timesheets, sicknesses forms – conduct back to work interviews, holiday forms, and changes in working hours during extra kiln shuts. Manages directly the shift teams rota on a daily basis
- To take part in Duty Manager roster Quality Assurance Contributes to and participates in the management, control and continuous improvement of the ISO
9001 standard where required.
Complies with Company Policy and KARE programme and participates in audits and reviews as required by the Environmental Policy and Systems. Participates in processes and delegated improvement projects as the need arises.
PURPOSE AND PERFORMANCE CRITERIA
- Maximise production department assistance with new product development and process related issues
- Maximise plant and equipment for both quality and performance (OEE)
- Indicate the results and the performance level (quantitative and qualitative) expected in this
assignment, and for the various financial years e.g. approx. 4 quantitative criteria and 3 qualitative
- Maximise autonomy / ownership and commitment of the members of the team
- Maximise mills/kiln and cooler performances (tons / day rounds / t, rejects, kWh /t)
- No kiln / mill shuts because of a run out of stock of a raw material
- Rejects in reject silos are transferred as soon as they are created
- No environmental problems
- A high organisation level in order to minimise overtime / temporary labour
- Maintaining a good atmosphere, constructive relationship
- Maximises technical knowledge of shift teams on plant equipment take into account their comments
and keep them updated so that the site systems become “their tool”
- Continuous improvement as shown through the plant scorecard
- Product availability
Page 4 of 4 Shift Team Manager
BEHAVIOURAL PERFORMANCE CRITERIA
- Achievement of annual objectives
- Autonomy e.g. organises and completes work
- Motivation - (Attendance, availability, constructive state of mind)
- Anticipation – Curiosity (Anticipates problems, acts spontaneously and in a pro-active way, goes deeper into matters and tries to understand them) e.g. Initiative ability
- Flexibility and adaptability (Adapts to changes, organisational demands and/or proposes new methods)
- Ability to drive forward ideas and projects
- Capable of planning and re-organising activities dependant on changing priorities and multiple demands
- Able to manage multiple functions
- Teamwork - (Helps to creates and maintain a climate of mutual aid, makes the circulation of information easier within the department and with other departments, contributes to common objectives)
- Confident and articulate, with excellent communication skills
- Hours of Work Normal hours of work 8am to 4pm - 35 hour week
- Engineering or Chemistry Degree or equivalent qualification
- Proven Management experience/qualifications with a strong supervisory background
- Must have basic process knowledge (value steam mapping, mass balances...)
- Must understand and have implemented lean manufacturing tools and projects: 5S, SPC, TPM,
- Formal Lean Manufacturing/Six Sigma qualifications (Black Belt Preferred)
- Must have SAP experience
- Must have Production Planning and Scheduling skills
- NEBOSH General Certificate
- First Aid at Work Certificate
- Microsoft Office skills (including VBA programming)
- Google suite skills
Only technical issues will be monitored through the below inbox:
PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT RESUMES OR APPLICATIONS TO THIS EMAIL, AS THEY WILL NOT BE REVIEWED.
To ensure fairness and legal compliance in our recruitment processes, only applications received through the online application process will be considered.
IMERYS is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and it is our policy to not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws.