We are currently recruiting for a Small Projects Engineer for our Platinum Group Metal Services (PGMS) based in Royston. The purpose of the role is to be responsible for the delivery of small projects as allocated from the Maintenance department within R&CE. Working alongside R&CE management and functional stakeholders, the role holder will ensure allocated projects are delivered in accordance with the agreed objectives on time, within budget and with zero incidents.
EHS and Compliance
- To ensure that all projects delivered are demonstrably safe, meeting all internal and external EHS compliance standards. To ensure that all project team members always comply with EHS rules and expectations during all stages of the project delivery process.
- To ensure projects, in both the proposal and execution stages, comply fully with EU, UK and any other applicable legislation.
- To follow Group JM project management procedures and guidelines.
Leadership and People
- There are no direct reports for this role, but you will be responsible for ensuring that all members of the Project team working under your supervision effectively perform their roles as defined in the JM Project Delivery process.
Planning and Financial
- Ensure all contracts proposed and entered related to your allocated projects give sufficient protection to JM through a process of appropriate due diligence and peer review from a wider range of business roles, including where appropriate Group Legal.
- Ensure that budgets are properly controlled and any risk of overspend is identified and communicated to relevant stakeholders.
- Prepare and maintain accurate schedules for projects for stakeholders.
- To ensure that assigned projects are properly scoped, specified, designed safely, commissioned and managed on time, to quality standard, right first time and within budget allocated.
- To ensure appropriate risk identification and mitigation in all phases of the Project.
- Ensure appropriate communication and leadership of all stakeholders in the form of regular status reports, including escalation to the Lead Engineer as appropriate.
- To ensure the provision of appropriate training and full documentation for the end-users from suppliers, enabling rapid and successful hand over of all projects to all user groups.
- To liaise with suppliers and contractors for projects, ensuring appropriate FAT and SAT’s are agreed and satisfied before full ownership of new equipment is taken
- Ensure prompt and full escalation to the Lead Engineer of situations where resource constraints threaten the delivery of projects to plan/budget.
Planning, Organising and Controlling
- Preparation of project execution plans for allocated projects.
- Control of risk, through appropriately developed identification processes and mitigation strategies
- Management of scope through utilisation of control of change requests.
- To ensure that contractors working on your allocated projects are properly supervised and managed to meet JM internal standards on contractor safety and that timescales of project implementation are clearly defined, documented and communicated in a timely manner.
Are you the ideal candidate?
- Qualified to degree level in Electrical/Mechanical/Chemical Engineering or equivalent
- Relevant experience within refining/process/chemical manufacturing industry
- Experience of delivering projects in high hazard operating environments
- IT literate. Able to use full MS office suite including MS Project.
- Able to follow P&ID’s
- Familiar with Hazard study methodology and stages
- Prince 2/APMP or similar project experience/qualification
Johnson Matthey (‘JM’) is a FTSE 100 specialty chemicals company with a market capitalisation of £6.4bn. It is a leader in sustainable technologies, underpinned by science and with a reputation for world class innovation. The group is highly profitable, (operating profit of £493m in the year to March 2017), but it believes that performance should not be measured by profit alone – it is also about running the business in the most sustainable way. Founded in 1817, Johnson Matthey has grown to a company employing circa 13,000 people with operations in over thirty countries worldwide.
Efficient Natural Resources is an autonomous business, one of four Sectors, within Johnson Matthey plc with revenues of circa £1 billion (circa £7 billion including precious metal value acquired and traded) and operations worldwide
Platinum Group Metal Services (PGMS) is one of four businesses within the Efficient Natural Resources sector that manages, distributes, refines and recycles precious metals and fabricates products using precious metals and related materials. The business unit also manufactures platinum group metals, minor metal compounds, organometallics and fine metal powders for high technology applications, as well as providing a range of management services for platinum group metals.
How to apply:
Internal applicants should advise their line manager before applying. If you have the necessary skills and experience to join our team, please apply online -
Closing date for applications:
2 August 2020
Johnson Matthey Plc is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.