Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
Our Water & Environment business provides a focus for advising our clients on sustainability issues including renewable energy, low carbon economies, impacts of climate change and waste and resource management. Our environmental capabilities comprise of in excess of 1000 staff based predominantly in the UK, but with reach into the Middle East and in India.
Due to an increase in workload, we are seeking a junior level Land Contamination Scientist/Engineer to work from our Belfast office.
Our People & Places Solutions business - reinforces our drive to improve the lives of people everywhere and epitomizes the "why" of what we do – the tremendous positive impact and value our solutions bring to our communities and society as a whole. From facilities delivering life-saving therapies and ensuring clean water to enabling the connection of people through all modes of transportation and providing access to technology – we're integrating a multitude of these solution elements to build the smart environments of tomorrow.
About the opportunity
You will work on a range of multidisciplinary projects, supporting specialists and contribute to the safe design, implementation and management of ground investigations and soil/groundwater remediation works. You will be required to liaise and work within teams of varying size and complexity.
The principal function of this position is to undertake project work involving elements of geo-environmental investigation/remediation and design, providing input either as part of both large and small multi-disciplinary team, or working independently on a particular project.
Under the supervision of a project manager, and after receiving health and safety training, you will be tasked to:
- Undertake Phase I Desk Study assessments of land contamination sites
- Design and specify ground investigation works for land contamination sites
- Produce specifications for ground investigations and potentially remediation works then assist in the procurement process
- Develop workplans and field instructions then track contractor compliance during implementation / delivery
- Support or lead field investigations, with oversight of drilling activities undertaking sampling (groundwater, surface water, soil, gas), contractor oversight.
- Oversee soil and groundwater remediation works, e.g., excavation, in-situ treatment, etc.
- Conduct or oversee basic operation and maintenance of remediation treatment units
- Data analysis, evaluation and interpretation for reports and presentations based on site investigation findings
- Prepare reports including description of fieldworks and methods, collation of data into tables, preparation of figures, etc.
- Manage technical equipment, e.g., quality, calibration
- Manage data (e.g., field and analytical data in databases) and data presentation using GIS software
The successful candidate will be required to demonstrate the following:
- First Degree in Geology/Environmental Sciences/Chemistry or other relevant discipline
- MSc/PhD in a relevant subject area reports preferable
- Land contamination consulting experience
- Solid technical and numerical skills with an emphasis on quality control, logical thinking and reporting.
- Willingness to develop technical skills and to tackle new challenges both within Ireland, the UK and internationally.
- Understands the fundamental regulation and design standards that need to be applied in delivering work
- Ideally working toward professional chartered status in a recognised and relevant environmental discipline
- Travel to support fieldworks 50 to 75% of the time (sometimes for a week or more at a time) typically within Northern Ireland, but potentially abroad
- Experience with computers and business software (Word, Excel, etc.); experience with drawing or technical software (gINT, ArcGIS, etc.) an asset
- Good problem solver and analytical thinker
- Highly motivated and proactive with drive and enthusiasm.
- Customer Focus
- Situational Adaptability
- Strategic Mindset
- Drives vision & purpose
- Cultivates Innovation
- A Global Mindset and demonstrated ability to work across cultures and remotely with our Global Integrated Delivery teams
We’re invested in you and your success. Our diverse perspectives and unique backgrounds power our collective strength. By supporting one another and through our culture of caring, we all succeed. The biggest questions spark our curious minds. We clear the way for inventive thinking and exploration, so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. We redefine what’s possible. There’s something that drives everyone – and we want you to keep evolving your career, discover unexpected opportunities and ensure you can deliver on tomorrow.
At Jacobs we see safety differently - we strive to go ‘BeyondZero’ by putting the health, safety and well-being of our employees first in everything we do.
We are committed to equality across our business and we work with external organisations such as STEM , WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and Stonewall . We are also Disability Confident Committed ; therefore, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy.
We encourage applications from candidates looking for flexible working or reduced hours’ contracts. Please also bear in mind that you do not need to meet 100% of the Essential Criteria to be considered for a position with Jacobs.
When you join Jacobs you will have access to a wide range of Global Networks, centred on inclusion and diversity which is the foundation of our business and at the centre of our values.
To find out more about our networks, please visit our website; www.jacobs.com
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.