Overall purpose of the role
As a senior member of the Embedded Programme and Project Controls Team the purpose of this role is to proactively manage the implementation of planning strategies, processes and procedures as provided by the Programme Controls Function across a sub set of the Water or Waste Portfolio. The Programme Controls Lead will ensure there is project and programme level alignment between the delivery entity and the Programme / Project Management Teams and that the Southern Water approach to Schedule, cost and risk management is consistently applied
Scope of role
The Programme Controls Lead will be expected to lead a group of planning professionals in support of the Programme Managers and Project Leaders in the successfully delivery of their outcomes. This includes compliance with the central Programme Controls Function requirements to drive consistent and robust, planning and control around schedule, cost and risk management.
The core components of the Programme Embedded Services Teams work will be to prepare and manage schedules, cost tracking and risk registers / requirements that help to plan, manage and track the programmes of work within the investment portfolio and to support the Project and Programme management Community through pro-active planning. The team will develop dependency plans incorporating key requirements such as Regulatory or Commitment dates, aligned associated cost using a standard integration tool or platform and risk mitigation measures.
The Programme Controls Lead will also be expected to train and transfer knowledge to colleagues, particularly Project Control staff.
Major accountabilities of role (6-10 short statements)
Approx % of time spent in role
1. Execution of the planning and controls strategy within the wider Southern Water Programme Controls community and drive the embedment of integrated planning processes and procedures 10%
2. Drive the embedment of integrated planning processes and procedures 10%
3. Drive the alignment and integration of Southern Water programme planning data 10%
4. Create, maintain, review and administer Programme and Portfolio-level schedules and plans – including regular updates of strategic programme schedules 10%
5. Liaise with managers and senior stakeholders to discuss the progress and status of Programme and Project schedules to address any issues that arise, this will include having to analyse earned value data. 10%
6. Liaise with external contractors and suppliers to ensure Southern Water’s Project and Programme controls requirements are addressed by the supply chain 10%
7. Ensure information is available and accurate for internal and external meetings regarding the Project and Programme schedules and activities 10%
8. Drive the implementation of work and cost breakdown structures as advised by Programme Controls and utilising the required coding structures 10%
9. Manage a group of Planning Professionals on schedule management of complex and inter-related projects and programmes of work, including resource scheduling and the integration of cost 10%
10. Provide oversight of Performance and work with Programme Controls to ensure performance insight for the Leadership team is accurate. Identify performance trends and any variation from budget, understand and be able to present the wider picture of Programme performance and recommend beneficial actions 10%
Experience and capability requirements
- Experience of managing a programme planning / controls team within a PMO
- Expert knowledge of best practice controls for schedule, cost and risk management
- Experience of implementing and continuous improvement of controls processes
- Expert knowledge of integrated planning systems
- Experience of process and system development, configuration and change management
- Excellent Stakeholder management skills
- Experience with working across complex programme and project delivery cycles
- Excellent interpersonal and team collaboration skills;
- Extensive career track record demonstrating progressing to team management level in similar role.
- Sector experience preferable Capability:
- Understanding of control and planning software such as P6
- Sound background in risk awareness and management
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent IT skills
- High attention to detail and peer analysis
- Excellent organisational skills
- Flexible and a proactive team player
- Leadership skills and experience of managing a team
Work Location / Base of Work
Southern House Falmer
Transformation & People
£42400 - £54800
Working pattern (e.g shifts)
Monday to Friday
Southern Water are looking for 3 Programme Control Lead's to work on a permanent basis in Falmer.
As a senior member of the Embedded Programme and Project Controls Team the purpose of this role is to proactively manage the implementation of planning strategies, processes and procedures as provided by the Programme Controls Function across a sub set of the Water or Waste Portfolio. The Programme Controls Lead will ensure there is project and programme level alignment between the delivery entity and the Programme / Project Management Teams and that the Southern Water approach to Schedule, cost and risk management is consistently applied.
To be successful in this role you must have experience of managing a programme planning / controls team within PMO, with expert knowledge of best practice and experience of implementing continuous improvement. Understanding of control and planning software such as P6 is essential along with a background in risk awareness and management.
Why work for Southern Water?
Our engineers, scientists, technicians, customer and corporate service teams’ work together to provide water and wastewater services to more than 4.6 million people across the South East.
Working for us, you will:
- Receive a competitive package including pension and 25 days annual leave
- Play a vital role in your community
- Help to safeguard our natural resources for future generations
- Live and work in a region that includes more than 800km of pristine coastline
- Benefit from a programme of formal training
- Have the opportunity to join in with our social clubs / events
- Be close to local amenities (gym and supermarket)
If you are a current Southern Water employee, please confirm within your application that you have informed your Line Manager that you are applying for this role.
Southern Water is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate on the grounds of age, race, gender or disability; complies with all relevant UK legislation.
All applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK. You will need to provide evidence of eligibility and current proof of address (dated within the last 3 months), If you do not meet these criteria your application will not be considered.
Advert closing date