Our people love the exciting and meaningful work they do, the cutting-edge resources and technology they have access to, the benefits we offer and the great community we’ve built. Want to join them?
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES IN THE BUSINESS:
As a Senior Platform Engineer (Senior Associate) in Kainos, you’ll be responsible for leading with the design of significant components of a modern digital service platform including its automation, build, deployment and support. It’s a fast-paced environment and you’ll be trusted to make sound, reasoned decisions. You’ll do this whilst learning about new technologies and approaches, with talented colleagues that will help you to learn, develop and grow.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Working as part of a team - You’ll work alongside colleagues in engineering, testing, consulting, product management and security capabilities to build, test and deploy software of the highest quality.
- Using technology for positive impact – You’ll ensure the latest technologies are employed appropriately to extract maximum user and business benefit. You’ll ensure alignment to industry standards and best practices.
- Putting people first - you’ll support your colleagues and facilitate an inclusive DevOps culture in all that you do.
- Finding your voice – As a respected voice within your team and to our customers, you’ll drive conversations and decisions to ensure services are scalable, secure, reliable and performant.
- Supporting services through Live Operation – Getting services into production is just the beginning with the fun truly starting when real users start interacting with the service you’ve built. You’ll make sure the service is available, secure and performant as you strive to continuously improve it.
- Becoming a Role Model – You’ll embody the Kainos values and be the person people look up to. You’ll proactively coach and mentor more junior members of the team.
- Pushing the boundaries – Through exposure to technology you may develop specialisms and choose to pivot your career in a certain direction.
MINIMUM (ESSENTIAL) REQUIREMENTS
- We all work in teams here in Kainos – a proven ability of strong team skills, including working in a multi-disciplinary team is crucial
- Good verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate issues to other technical people, and sometimes to non-technical people.
- Significant expertise in:
o Use of multiple configuration management, infrastructure provisioning and automation tools.
o Fluency in least one of the following:
Powershell, Bash, Python, Ruby, Go, Groovy.
- Expertise in using multiple automation tools and at least one of: Powershell, Bash, Python, Ruby, Go, Groovy
- Demonstrable experience in:
o Designing, building, testing, automating, monitoring and supporting significant components within a modern digital service platform in production environments.
o Producing designs that are scalable, resilient, efficient, secure, cost-effective and minimise lock-in.
o Contributing to technical decisions and direction in a collaborative team environment, including architecture, estimation, product planning, user story/requirement creation and advocating MVP.
o Implementing modern Continuous Delivery processes for releasing software for releasing software to production.
o Applying industry best practices and patterns across infrastructure and application components e.g. security, elasticity, performance.
o Using public cloud platform(s) to solve business problems (AWS or Azure).
o Applying configuration management, infrastructure provisioning and container orchestration tooling to solve business problems.
o Using modern version control systems including git.
o Debugging complex problems across multiple servers, services and tools – you can find the needle in the haystack.
WHO YOU ARE:
- Third level – or equivalent - qualification in a related discipline.
- Obtained mid-level certification with a public cloud provider (AWS/Azure).
- Active participation in knowledge sharing activities, both within the team and with wider non-technical audiences.
- Experience of cloud-native SaaS and PaaS technologies.
- We are passionate about developing people – experience in managing, mentoring and coaching junior members of staff is important
Our vision is to enable outstanding people to create digital solutions that have a positive impact on people’s lives. Our values aren't abstract; they are the behaviours we expect from each other every day and underpin everything that we do. We expect everyone to display our values by being determined in how obstacles are overcome; honest when dealing with others; respectful of how you treat others; creative to find solutions to complex problems and cooperative by sharing information, knowledge and experience. These values, applied collectively, help to produce an outstanding Kainos person, team and culture.
We're an inclusive bunch at Kainos and we believe in equal opportunity. We welcome applications from all walks of life, including those with criminal records. Everyone who is offered a position here undergoes a basic background check , however no one is treated differently due to their background where it isn't relevant to the role. It's important to note - failure to reveal information which is relevant to the position sought, could result in us having to withdraw the conditional offer of employment.
Having a criminal record will not exclude you from a career with Kainos. This depends entirely on the nature and requirements of the position, together with the circumstances and background of offences. Kainos has a policy on the recruitment of ex-offenders (available on request).