This rewarding and vital role sits within our Modifications Department, working in tandem with UK military Delivery Teams and Front Line Commands to deliver new and upgraded capability across all UK military aviation platforms. The Department ensures UK helicopter, fixed wing and Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) fleets have the equipment and technology needed to help protect the UK and our Armed Forces from constantly evolving, real world threats.
As a Military Aviation Authority (MAA) Design Approved Organisation Scheme (DAOS) accredited unit, we deliver assured industry standard aircraft modifications in support of urgent operational and safety requirements, using modern techniques including 3D scanning, 3D printing, and integrated Computer Aided Design & Computer Aided Manufacture.
You will be part of a team that is responsible for designing all aspects of modifications from early prototyping, scoping and planning installations, integrating systems, through to manufacturing and flying trials. Examples include introducing new communications, navigation, avionics, proximity alert systems and adapting role equipment fits, such as medical casualty evacuation capability. You will have specific responsibility for ensuring that the modification is compliant with and meets the strength and structural requirements of Defence Standard 00-970. Your involvement throughout the design process will be from concept to clearance, giving advice and guidance to the designers to ensure airframe integrity and strength requirements are met. You will be conducting analysis of the designs to determine load paths and failure methods, including modelling using NASTRAN software, culminating in a Stress Report used to inform the safety argument and provide assurance to our customers.
As a Compliance and Verification Engineer (CVE), you will provide verification and assurance that the various Def-Stan 00-970 certification requirements have been met for the modification.
Travel opportunities to additional sites, off-site trials, conferences and visits to external partners could be a part of your role.
Your time will be split across two main roles, Stress Engineer and Compliance Verification Engineer (CVE); your output will include:
- Ensuring design compliance with the relevant requirements of Def Stan 00- 970
- Conducting peer reviews of design evidence
- Signing as CVE authorizer within MAA DAOS approvals for 1710 NAS Designed Modifications
- Stress analysis of early prototypes, aiding design progression, and finalised designs
- Compilation of formal Stress Reports for 1710 NAS Designed Modifications
Essential experience includes:
Highly desirable experience includes:
- Mechanical design experience
- Stress analysis of mechanical structures
- High level of knowledge of 3D CAD systems (such as Autodesk’s Inventor software suite)
- Strong IT skills
- CVE experience
- Military aviation design or engineering experience
- Def Stan 00-970
- EASA (European Union Aviation Safety Agency) design regulations
With strong English and Maths skills we're seeking applicants with a minimum Level 4 Qualification OR a minimum of three years equivalent practical engineering experience related to Mechanical / Aerospace Engineering.
We'll support you with a Team Leader who'll guide you in your structured training and development within the team.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Making Effective Decisions
Changing and Improving
Communicating and Influencing
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Aerospace Engineering Competences (AEFC) 2.1 Airframe
- Aerospace Engineering Competences (AEFC) 3.1 Achieving Integrity
- Aerospace Engineering Competences (AEFC) 3.2 Test &
We'll provide a great range of benefits including:
- Excellent learning and development
- Chartership and accreditation support
- A competitive salary
- Onsite gym
- Generous annual leave
- Flexible working
- Onsite parking
The post does not offer relocation expenses
Please be advised that the Department is conducting a review of all pay related allowances which could impact on those allowances that the post currently being advertised attracts.