At WSP, there’s nothing we love more than pushing boundaries. Harnessing innovation and sharing insights across our diverse, international team to create a tomorrow’s world that's cleaner, greener and safer. Join us and you’ll be part of an organisation that takes pride in its people and purpose: creating long-lasting solutions to meet the needs of generations to come.
The Bridges team is busy with highway and rail bridge engineering work for a variety of clients, including local authorities, Contractors, private developers and public sector clients.
Current work includes bridge inspection and assessment, feasibility studies, and design.
An enthusiastic, dedicated candidate will be expected to join the established team of engineers and technicians, working alongside existing colleagues. The chief requirements are the ability to work independently to produce high quality solutions for bridge projects, and to be able to apply engineering knowledge and principles to devise innovative solutions to unique design problems.
A typical week would include:
Bridge design, both in the UK and overseas;
Bridge strengthening and repair, inspections and assessments;
General civil and structural engineering support to other teams.
Preparation of documents, reports and health and safety risk assessments, scheme designs and drawings, scheme feasibility studies and outline cost estimates;
Checking drawings and supervision of CAD technicians;
The position is predominantly office based but some travel may be required occasionally for site visits, inspections, or to attend meetings.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
It is anticipated that you will be a Chartered Civil or Structural Engineer. It is expected that this experience will include the following:
- Practical knowledge and experience of bridge design, maintenance and assessment, gained from working on both construction sites and the design office;
- Practical knowledge and experience of project management of bridge projects;
- Proven knowledge in design, maintenance and supervision of structures related projects together with a track record of innovation in design and management of structures. Ideally this should include new build, maintenance, assessment and strengthening of bridges and civil structures infrastructure;
- Proven working knowledge of the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB) and Manual of Contract Documents for Highway Works (MCDHW) in relation to structural schemes;
- Understanding and experience of use of Eurocodes and their application to bridge design;
- Experience of design in or assessment of steel, reinforced and prestressed concrete bridge structures;
- Experience of grillage, space frame and finite element analysis software packages such as LUSAS, Superstress and SAM.
Good communication, client handling and interpersonal skills are essential, plus a willingness to adapt to new challenges and to actively participate in the development of the bridges team.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Together, our people make up one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We’re dedicated to the communities where we live and work in the UK and propelled by international brainpower. Staying curious is what drives us. Looking at challenges from fresh angles helps us deliver future-ready solutions that break paradigms.
With around 7,900 talented people in 70+ offices across the UK, and 43,000 around the world, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come.