we're not your typical developer. Our 30+ years in the game-making business have been dedicated to crafting one beloved title after another, constantly trying new things, and infusing the fun we have every day into the games we create. Check out the Rare Replay collection for three whirlwind decades of evidence! We strive to keep Rare a fantastic place to work, from its beautiful location and state-of-the-art facilities to a strong focus on work/life balance.
If you're a keen gamer, chances are you've already caught wind of our epic shared world pirate adventure Sea of Thieves, released in March 2018 and a journey we're committed to for the long haul even as we begin to think about what's out there beyond the horizon. With every day bringing new challenges and discoveries in equal measure, there's never been a more rewarding time to join our daredevil crew!
Rare - Microsoft Studios – Twycross, Warwickshire
Is your head full of fun and innovative game design ideas? When you play or watch games, do you find you’re often thinking of new ways it could expand or improve their player experience? You could be our next Game Design Intern!
Our cross-discipline team are seeking a Design Intern who will contribute to the design of interesting features, systems and encounters. Primarily, you’re able to take a problem and build something tangible to help reach a solution. Working part of a team in a creative environment, you will have the opportunity to learn new things as well as contribute to the overall design of our games!
As an intern at Rare, you play a vital role in our team right in the action of games development. Not only would you be working in our top-class facility, but you’ll be supported by some of the best game developers in the industry.
We value the fresh mindset and exciting ideas that come with our interns and support their growth wherever possible. Our teams pride themselves on pushing the realms of normal gaming, that’s why this position is well suited to an individual who is driven and determined yet able to learn and open to constructive feedback.
If the above sounds like you – do keep reading!
- Aid in the design and development of features, systems and AI behaviours.
- Represent your area of design with other members of the team
- Creation of moment to moment play experience
- Build content in-engine using a variety of tools and methodologies
- Prototyping systems which will be used to prove key gameplay concepts, pillars and experiences
- An enthusiasm for game design and ideas
- Understand player motivations and how they can be satisfied through innovative solutions
- Appreciate how mechanics, dynamics and aesthetics work together to create engaging experiences
- Knowledge of modern games – especially those that are watchable and shareable experiences or shared open world games.
- Self-motivated, proactive and organised, but able to have fun whilst being all those things!
- A game design portfolio is optional, though supplying one with your application may provide a good insight into your skills as a game designer. We do advise you make clear what part you played in any joint projects.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.