QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
The Senior Engineer is responsible for working to assigned tasks in a methodical and timely fashion, assisting the completion of projects, while remaining aligned with strategy, commitments and goals of the organization.
To provide a liaison between the project manager and the technical disciplines involved in IT projects
To be the primary technical point of contact for IT projects
Provide technical assurance and governance to IT projects
Responsibilities include schedule preparation, pre-planning and resource forecasting for engineering and other technical activities relating to the project.
Assure the accuracy of financial forecasts, which tie-in to project schedules.
Ensuring projects are completed according to project plans and technical designs
Manage project team resources and training
Daily operations of field work activities and organization of subcontractors
This is a mobile role covering all UK sites, and may also require some work to be carried out internationally.
- Carry out field support for projects
- Carry out survey work for new projects
- Provide support to the pre-sales team
- Ensure configuration management and installation standards are maintained
- To maintain effective working relationships with on-site operational teams and contractors
- Customer liaison
- Ensuring compliance with organisation policies, procedures and work instructions
- Ensuring compliance with industry and MOD standards
- Provide hands on engineering & project support when and where required.
- Ensure own performance positively impacts the performance of the team.
- Ensure capability of the team is sufficient to fulfil operational requirements.
- Further develop teams capabilities, encourage coach and mentor team.
- Ensure Field installations meet Site Coordinating Installation Design Authority (SCIDA) installation requirements by following Best Practice guidelines
- Determines project responsibilities by identifying project phases and elements; assigning personnel to phases and elements; reviewing bids from contractors.
- Determines project specifications by studying product design, customer requirements, and performance standards; completing technical studies; preparing cost estimates.
- Confirms product performance by designing and conducting tests.
- Determines project schedule by studying project plan and specifications; calculating time requirements; sequencing project elements.
- Maintains project schedule by monitoring project progress; coordinating activities; resolving problems.
- Project delivery management
- Manage Health and Safety for the project
- To undertake other duties as directed by the Group Lead
- Be able to work under pressure.
- Excellent customer facing skills
- Have concern for excellence and service improvement.
- Commitment to set, achieve and maintain a high quality service.
- Can be relied upon to take a task through from conception to completion.
- Shows the commitment and ability to identify and understand the current and future needs of the customer, and be willing to go that ‘extra step’ to ensure the individual customer’s needs are met.
- To have the ability to work and communicate well as part of a team and to be able to work on own initiative.
- To have the ability to look ahead and identify new opportunities and approaches to work related issues.
- Adapts to changing demands and conditions.
- Willing to keep up-to-date and build upon skill and knowledge base.
- Takes responsibility for own development and actively pursues learning and development opportunities.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Problem ownership
- Drive and determination
- Planning and organising
- Coaching of other team members
- Good problem and analytical skills
- Flexible approach to working
- In depth knowledge of computer IT hardware and software.
- In depth knowledge of networking infrastructures
- Fault diagnosis/fixing of cabling infrastructures
Experience & Qualifications
- Accreditations and qualifications to include:
o Health and Safety (IOSH Managing Safely, Working at heights, Asbestos, Confined spaces, IPAF, PASMA) etc.
o Emergency First Aid at Work
o ITIL V4 foundation certificate
o Certified Network Infrastructure Design Professional (CNIDP)
o Microsoft Certified IT Professional or equivalent experience. (MCITP)
o Cisco CCNA or equivalent
- Demonstrable IT knowledge including:
o Structured Cabling.
o Wi-Fi Planning, design & installation
o Network Equipment Rooms
o Fibre Optics
o Working with different network classifications
o LAN and WAN
o Audio Visual
o IP based CCTV
o Video Conferencing
o PC and server hardware and operating systems
o Virtualisation and cloud computing
o Data Centre environments
- Understanding of project management
- CCTV system design
- Surveying – pricing and costing IT installations internally and externally
- Managing office moves and Business as Usual (BAU) Projects.
- Strong customer & delivery focus, meeting and exceeding customer expectations
- Exhibits authority and leadership, takes responsibility, is independent and self-starting
- Demonstrates teamwork at the highest level with a highly collaborative approach
- Highly customer & delivery focused, meeting and exceeding customer expectations
- Working in the construction environment including Construction Design Management (CDM) regulations
- Good knowledge of JSP604
- Configuration control
- Access Control systems
- Managing contractors
- Knowledge of electrical and earthing systems
- SC cleared essential
- Full driving licence essential
- British passport holder