We’re looking for a Data Engineer to join ThinkData as one of the first few members of the UK office, and to work as a key member of our Data & Analytics team. This role will involve development of scripts and connectors to plug into standard and non-standard public data sources, development of tool suites as well as hands on DataOps work. We’re looking for a Data Engineer with 2-5 years of experience who wants to be part of a scaling company that prioritizes accessing and distributing data, and enables clients to focus on working with their data rather than for it.
What you will be doing:
Building and maintaining tools for monitoring and DataOps
Building data connectors to connect to open, public and partner data sources
Wrangling and analyzing existing datasets for specific projects
Liaising directly with clients on matters of data structure and ideal delivery
What you bring:
Our ideal candidate wants to be part of a team that solves real-world problems and propels the next wave of data science, machine learning, and artificial intelligence. You are tenacious and enjoy solving problems - be it development, data wrangling, or data analysis.
You are proficient in Ruby or Python (additional languages are an asset)
You are familiar with Apache projects such as Spark, Airflow, Lens, etc.
You understand concepts related to databases, data warehouses, web design, cloud infrastructure and containerization
You are familiar with software design guidelines and patterns
You are able to quickly learn new tools and software
You are able to think creatively and propose solutions to problems
You are able to work both solo and collaboratively
You are able to communicate effectively with clients
What’s in it for you:
- Knowledge. You will be given the tools and the support you need – from everyone on our Data, Engineering, and Leadership teams – to succeed in your role.
- The chance to make an impact. We want someone who is creative and motivated to build and maintain customized data solutions for our clients. You’ll be working on the front-lines of data, delivering solutions directly to our clients, with real ownership over your projects.
- Access to new tech. At ThinkData we don’t shy away from bleeding edge technology. We encourage you to experiment, test, and push the boundaries through research and development.
- Career growth. This role will change and evolve as we continue to grow. We want you to be able to carve out your own career path here. The landscape is being built under our feet as we move forward, so we are on the lookout for people who can channel their passion, learn quickly and navigate the unknown at top speed.
- Be a culture vulture. London is an incredible place – let’s make the most of it! Maybe you know the best spot for kebab, or maybe the West End is calling your name. We want to foster a culture where we’re serious about work and just as serious about having fun. Whether you’re a local expert or a brand new expat, be open to taking in what this city has to offer.
ThinkData Works, Inc. is a Toronto-based technology startup whose data management platform, Namara, is used by some of the foremost organizations in the world to process and refine data into usable products. We host one of the largest repositories of publicly available data and enable our clients to significantly increase the amount of information they use to fuel solutions.
At ThinkData, our mission is to build the easiest and most secure solution that enables our users to access, integrate, and collaborate on the data that powers their business. Some of the largest companies in the world, from tech to banking and beyond, use our platform.
We’re not a single-solution AI company or a consulting firm disguised as a startup. We’re interested in solving the fundamental problem of accessing and distributing data. Namara, as a data management platform, will propel the next wave of intelligent solutions.
Need more reasons to join?
We may be technologically driven, but like every Canadian, we know the best ideas are thought of in a cottage outside of Toronto. During the summer, we take the whole team on a 3-day retreat for vision-setting, aligning our goals, product management, and team-building. We’re not saying this involves beers, guitars, and songs by the campfire. But we’re not saying it doesn’t.
We are managing our growth. We continue to promote and nurture the open, collaborative nature of who we are and how we work. We work hard while still having fun, being ourselves, hanging out together, and enjoying delicious snacks at the office.
One final note before applying
ThinkData Works prides itself for its diversity and being an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We value all of our applicants, but due to the high volume of applications we receive, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the UK.