Ideas | People | Trust
We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions businesses need to navigate today’s changing world.
We’ll broaden your horizons
Working hard and working together, our Tax team thrives on keeping busy. Friendly, driven and diverse, they service our clients across the country and around the world. By providing expertise in many different specialist areas of tax, they collaborate across BDO to deliver wider business solutions. From meeting clients’ evolving business needs to managing changes to legislation, there are always fresh challenges to face in the Tax team. If you’re after a career that will keep you on your toes, we’ll give you the autonomy to drive your career forward.
We’ll help you succeed
The Corporate Tax department provides bespoke taxation services to its clients and deals with all queries from basic compliance through to high-level advisory work. It prepares tax returns and computations, carries out tax planning/consultancy work, and deals with HMRC, clients and third parties.
The firm's specialist Innovation & Technology Group, comprises engineers, software programmers and scientists as well as specialist finance professionals such as auditors and tax accountants all of whom are experienced in claiming R&D tax relief. The Innovation and Technology team provide the following services:
- Claiming R&D tax relief
- R&D Allowances (RDAs)
- Patent Box
- International R&D relief
This is a client facing role where you will be working with customers from a wide range of industry sectors undertaking development activities within the field of Engineering. A key aspect for this role will be the ability to translate complex ideas into non-technical concepts and communicate these to a broad client base .
When you join us, we’ll make your growth our priority. If you can demonstrate the following skills, we can help you go far.
We’re looking for someone with:
- A holder of a recognised Science or Engineering Postgraduate Degree (MSc/MEng and/or PhD
- A business degree and/or other finance degree/qualification would be an advantage (but not necessary)
- Excellent knowledge of UK R&D tax relief schemes and claim quantification
- Proven experience of managing several projects simultaneously, and experience in working within a business unit with internal and external clients
- Proven experience of working independently on R&D tax relief claims for both small and large companies, with proven record of comfortably liaising with Managing Directors, Financial Directors, CEOs , CTOs etc… of such companies
- Understanding accounts and tax computations for the purposes of understanding the benefit to the client
- Understanding requirements of the relevant local tax legislation and guidelines
- Strong numerical ability
- Strong project management skills to ensure R&D claims are delivered to time and within budget.
- Curiosity, awareness and an interest in the fields of science, technology and innovation
- Able to project a professional, credible image
- Able to travel to clients' premises for meetings and on-site reviews as well as other offices as needed
We’re in it together
At BDO, we believe that when our people feel valued and rewarded, their potential is unlimited. We offer highly competitive starting salaries and review remuneration packages regularly to ensure that our pay always positively reflects performance. As well offering support with tuition and professional qualifications, we also provide the following benefits, as standard:
28 days’ holiday;
access to a personal pension scheme, with matched employer contributions;
life assurance cover and income protection insurance.
That’s not all. We understand that everyone is different so, we offer a range of voluntary benefits to suit every lifestyle. Our flexible benefits platform, Flexcel, means our people can choose from a range of tax efficient options to design a benefit package that best suits them. Through Flexcel, they can:
buy up to ten days’ extra holiday;
add on private medical, personal accident, dental insurance or travel insurance;
enrol in our Bike to Work scheme;
enjoy discounts off cinemas, dining, and gyms;
receive an interest free season ticket loan or interest free graduate loan;
access childcare vouchers;
take an online health assessment and utilise our employee assistance programme.
We’re looking forward to the future
At BDO, we’re big enough to make the difference and collaborative enough to never lose sight of where we’re going. We know that it’s our people that make our success possible. Across our 17 UK locations, more than 5,000 of them work together to provide tax, audit, assurance and a range of advisory services that help our clients achieve their ambitious goals. Together, they’re fuelling Britain’s economic engine. Behind every complex client challenge and every untapped innovation, they’re there: ensuring we continue to find the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise. That’s why we’re always looking for ways to invest in our people. That means providing them with an environment where they can grow, learn, laugh and feel respected, at all times.