United Utilities provides water and sewage services to around seven million people in the North West. Behind the scenes that means operating enough miles of pipework and sewers to wrap three times round the planet, investing billions of pounds to improve water and the environment across the North West, while taking care of some of the most scenic and environmentally sensitive countryside in the region. We're embracing new technology, thinking outside the box to improve services for our customers and even harnessing the renewable energy potential of the region's water, waste and weather.
In short, it's our job to bring three million households and 200,000 businesses, clean, clear water and to take their waste water away so our customers can simply get on with their day.
You'll be rewarded for your commitment with a starting salary of £28,500, a massive 26 days of annual leave every year, which will increase to a maximum of 30 days after four years' service, plus bank holidays. Our fantastic benefits include private healthcare, discounted gym, flexible holidays, and award winning pension scheme. United Utilities has also been honored by Glassdoor with the Best Places to Work in 2020.
We're looking for enthusiastic graduates to lead the way and help us to meet the challenges of the future.
We will provide you with development opportunities to work to chartered engineer status. You will be working on a series of projects designed to help you get to grips with the breadth of the business and the diverse challenges we face in delivering drinking water.
- Possess or have potential to develop strong engineering skills towards chartered engineer status.
- Have the opportunity to develop leadership, financial and communications skills to support regulatory compliance and efficiency of operation.
- Have the ability to work across a matrix organisation to deliver desired outcomes.
- Be given opportunities to build, maintain and use network models for solving water network problems.
- Develop skills to support operations personnel to manage water distribution in line with company commitments.
Knowledge and Skills*
Our team has a strong reputation for excellence and our graduates are an important part of that success.
We require our modelling engineer graduates to have a minimum 2:1 BSc or BA degree in an engineering, environmental, hydrological or mathematical discipline
You will need to be:
- Able to show interest and ability in numerical computational analysis and show evidence of engagement in water environmental interests
- An excellent team player
- Ambitious and show drive
- An excellent communicator at all levels
- Ability to influence across all levels
- Strong in written and interpersonal skills
- Great at problem solving skills
- Knowledgeable and interested in water supply and distribution
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to a virtual assessment centre which are taking place from 6 – 17 December 2021.
We need fantastic people to enable us to deliver a great service to the public. We are committed to reaching and recruiting from every community and then supporting employees to achieve their full potential ensuring they feel valued and included, regardless of their gender, age, race, disability, sexual orientation or social background.
If you are offered a job with us, a number of pre-employment checks need to be carried out before your appointment can be confirmed. Any offer of employment with United Utilities will be subject to a satisfactory checking report from the Disclosure Scotland / the Disclosure and Barring Service.*
For further information regarding clean water networks and examples of network modelling software follow these links:
CwMAG - https://cwmagblog.wordpress.com/
Innovyze - https://www.innovyze.com/en-us/solutions-products/water-distribution-modeling-and-management
Synergi Water (by DNVGL) - https://www.dnvgl.com/services/water-quality-analysis-and-hydraulic-modelling-synergi-water-2792
Bentley WaterGEMS - https://www.bentley.com/en/products/product-line/hydraulics-and-hydrology-software/watergems
Closing Date: *31/10/21
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: £28,500.00 per year
Work Location: Multiple Locations