The Data and Artificial Intelligence Team, shortlisted for the ‘Best Analytics Team’ DataIQ Award 2019, is an industry acclaimed data science team within the Walgreens Boots Alliance group. Our team provides globally scalable solutions for complex and diverse business problems and supports data-driven decision making across our global businesses.
Our ethos is simple, provide the scope, resource and autonomy for talented people to allow them to do what they do best - create amazing analysis, data products and services. We’re looking for talented PhD. Data Scientists to join our growing team of Data Scientists and Engineers. People who are innovative problem solvers, are comfortable working both independently and within a team, willing to take on a high level of ownership and who relish a big challenge.
Successful candidates will have a PhD. with a strong analytics element, bring technical and investigative abilities and a passion for delivering results for customers - internal and external. So, if you are passionate about working with data to solve business problems and excited by the idea of joining a trend-setting analytical team, we’d love to hear from you.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
You can expect to be involved in the following:
- Leading the development of innovative scalable solutions for complex and diverse business problems through use of analytical techniques, machine learning and deep learning.
- Collaborating on commercially focused projects with colleagues from data engineering, insights and business backgrounds.
- Designing, developing and delivering world-class algorithms and predictive models, leveraging statistical, machine learning and AI methods.
- Visualisation and communication of actionable insights and making commercial recommendations to audiences with varying levels of technical expertise.
- Coaching more junior Data Scientists and provide inspiration, support and technical guidance for the wider team.
WHO YOU ARE
We are looking for individuals who combine independent thinking with problem-solving skills, work well in a team and have a flexible and agile approach to work. Some opportunities are available which require GIS specific expertise.
Skills and Experience
Common across all our previously successful candidates;
- Hold a PhD in Computer Science, or related technical, science or other numerate discipline.
- Experience structuring business questions as analytics problems and using available data, quantitative modeling and statistical analysis techniques to develop a scalable solution.
- Experience with analytical programming languages (e.g. Python, R) or other machine learning, statistical or mathematical software (e.g. Alteryx, Matlab, RapidMiner etc.).
- Proficiency in using SQL.
- Strong communication and data presentation skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- GIS specific applicants: Proficiency in GIS software (e.g. ESRI), experience of using spatial analysis techniques and a basic knowledge of cartographic/design principles.
Previously successful candidates have matched one or more of the below;
- Demonstrable record of delivering results in a dynamic, fast paced environment. Dealing well with ambiguity and an expertise in prioritisation of needs.
- Expertise in working with large data sets, both structured and unstructured, using a range of data mining techniques such as anomaly detection, clustering, regression, classification, summarisation.
- Expertise in both supervised and unsupervised machine learning techniques such as regression, classification, clustering, dimensionality reduction, neural networks & deep learning, natural language processing, ensembling.
- Hands on experience building models with deep learning frameworks like MXNet, Tensorflow, Caffe, Torch, Theano or similar.
- GIS specific applicants: Advanced knowledge of ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Enterprise deployments.
- GIS specific applicants: Experience of applying advanced spatial statistical techniques.
Competencies/ Professional Skills
- Problem solving skills - shows initiative, eager to learn (self-learner/researcher) and when working independently demonstrates responsibility and accountability.
- Flexible and agile work skills - comfortable working in a fast paced, highly collaborative, dynamic work environment.
- Business focus and commercial awareness - understands company strategies and priorities and can plan workload and technical solutions accordingly.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
Joining the Data and Artificial Intelligence team means entering a world of freedom, support and possibilities where you are encouraged to think bigger, be bolder and try new things. We offer you the opportunity to be part of something ambitious, to have a global impact and many opportunities to develop your career.
We offer a competitive salary and a great personalised benefits package. WBA’s commitment to a great work-life balance allows us to consider flexible working options.
ABOUT WALGREENS BOOTS ALLIANCE
Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) is a global leader in Retail and Wholesale Pharmacy, touching millions of lives every day with more than 100 years of trusted healthcare heritage and innovation and in 2019 was included in FORTUNE's list of the World’s Most Admired Companies for the 26th consecutive year.
WBA’s purpose is to help people across the world lead healthier and happier lives. WBA’s portfolio includes Walgreens, Duane Reade, Boots and Alliance Healthcare, as well as global health and beauty product brands, such as No7, Soap & Glory, Liz Earle, Botanics, Sleek MakeUP and YourGoodSkin.
Proud to be a force for good through its contributions to healthy communities, a healthy planet, an inclusive workplace and a sustainable marketplace. Walgreens was on FORTUNE magazine’s ‘Companies that Change the World’ 2019 list and Boots UK was recognized as ‘Responsible Business of the Year 2019-2020’ by Business in the Community.