The Lead Power Electronics Drive Systems Engineer will be responsible for leading and performing Low voltage and medium voltage power electronics drive systems design tasks on System projects. This is a technical role and will involve working in a multi-disciplinary team of engineers to specify MW-scale power electronics drive systems for Marine, Renewable Energy and Industry applications.
- Specify, design and document drive Systems (power electronics converters & machines) technical solutions.
- Undertake modelling, analysis and simulation of power electronic converter & electrical machine drive systems, using standard industrial design tools such as: Matlab, Simulink, PLECS, PSpice, Mathcad, CFD, etc.
- Development of power electronic drive systems analytical, modelling tools for systems with a large degree of MW range power electronic converter systems.
- Verification, validation, Testing of low voltage & medium voltage drive systems.
- Application of engineering standards and development of design practices.
- Ensuring drive system designs comply with the relevant health & safety, International standards and class society rules.
- Support attainment of on-time delivery, cost and quality targets on projects.
- Provide technical assistance to tendering, test and commissioning teams.
- Liaison with customers, suppliers and sub-contractors.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree, Masters or PhD degree in relevant field preferred.
- Design experience in power electronics or similar field.
- Knowledge of power electronics converter and electrical machines control methods.
- Skilled user of power electronics design tools such as Mathcad, MATLAB, Simulink, PLECS etc.
- Willing to travel within UK and overseas for short term working.
- Able to achieve UK security clearance.
- Knowledge of power electronic converter control systems design and analysis.
- Ability to multi-task on a variety of projects, adapts to changing circumstances, able to deal with ambiguity making positive use of the opportunities it presents.
- Able to make prompt, clear decisions. Probes for further information or greater understanding of a problem and produces workable solutions.
- Excellent communication skills; listens, consults others and communicates proactively.
- Knowledge of drive control systems.
- Strong report writing skills; writes clearly and succinctly to meet the needs and understanding of the intended audience.
- Strong personal organisational skills; manages time effectively, monitors performance against deadlines and milestones, works productively in a pressurised environment.
- Upholds ethics and values, demonstrates integrity.
- Learns from successes and failures, seeking team and/or customer feedback.
- Willing to work extended hours at critical times.
- Full UK driving licence is desirable but not essential.
- Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction, consistently achieves project goals.
- Able to establish good relationships with customers and colleagues, able to build effective networks inside and outside of the organisation. Adapts interpersonal style to suit different people and/or situations.
- SAP and Teamcenter (PLM) experience.
GE’s Power Conversion business applies the science and systems of power conversion to help drive the electrification of the world’s energy infrastructure by designing and delivering advanced motor, drive and control technologies that evolve today’s industrial processes for a cleaner, more productive future. Serving specialized sectors such as energy, marine, oil and gas, renewables and industry, through customized solutions and advanced technologies, GE Power Conversion partners with customers to maximize efficiency.
Power Conversion is committed to taking on the world’s toughest challenges. In order to fulfill that promise we rely on a culture of leadership, diversity and inclusiveness. We aim to employ the world’s brightest minds to help us create a limitless source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles.
We are open to discuss flexible working arrangements and to meet the work-life balance needs of today’s top talents
To learn more, please visit: