Graduate Mechanical Engineer - Buildings
At Arup, we design and deliver iconic projects through our work in the built environment. Independent in ownership and spirit, we're a global firm of project managers, programme managers, designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
Our Advisory & Project Management work supports our ethos of ‘shaping a better world' and tackling today's major issues including climate change, sustainability and social equality. We face the challenge that infrastructure assets are becoming increasingly complex as the customer users' needs change, technology advances and legacy assets require complex upgrades and maintenance.
Against this context Advisory may be described as a collection of high value professional services (including Project Management) to help service the complex needs of our clients and develop innovative solutions to their challenges. Due to our global reach we work across many market sectors including energy, highways, rail and water.
As one of the world's leading building and infrastructure design consultancies, we offer clients the innovation and technical know-how to continually deliver their projects on schedule and on budget, but without compromise.
Are you interested in a career in Advisory & Project Management?
We are looking for Graduates to join our team of bright professionals based in our Whitehaven office. You'll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification, whilst maintaining control and drive of their own career.
You will have a great deal of responsibility from day one, which will involve working in high performing teams and delivering client facing tasks. As you progress in your role at Arup, we envisage you will develop your skills and progress in the levels of responsibility and stimulating projects you are involved with.
Our Whitehaven office covers the spectrum of Advisory & Project Management. You will have the opportunity to be involved in all stages of the project life cycle from advising on the concept definition and business case development, concept design, design coordination, tender management, contract administration through to delivery, handover and benefits realisation. We are currently delivering a wide range of projects from a £250 million electrical upgrade to smaller, discrete design and build tasks which progress at a dynamic pace. These projects are at all stages of the life cycle, from programme planning to construction and commissioning.
In addition to your client project work, you will have the opportunity to get involved in a number of business improvement initiatives, and to take part in a wide range of formal and informal learning sessions, which will support your professional development and help in shaping your career. You will also have the opportunity to work alongside client and contractor teams in an alliance environment, thereby gaining knowledge of project delivery from all perspectives.
Typical responsibilities could include:
- Source, review, research, collate, report, present and analyse information from a variety of sources (including data analytics)
- Develop client solutions on a project by project basis
- Manage project information flow
- Develop project execution strategies
- Project monitoring and progress reporting, including creating reporting dashboards
- Support the development of project gateway reports and other governance reviews
- Prepare KPI or project benchmarking information
- Support the development of procurement strategies
- Support the management of contracts
- Assist in preparing for Client presentation and governance meetings
We are looking for graduates with curiosity and personal drive, who are technically-minded and have a familiarity with the UK construction industry (or a willingness to learn). If you are enthusiastic about a career in Advisory & Project Management, underpinned by knowledge and understanding of our sector and work and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we would like to hear from you.
We are looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in a subject such as Engineering, Architecture, Business, Geography, Psychology, Construction Management or Project Management, at 2.1 or above
- Master’s degree in an APM accredited Project Management course is advantageous
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel and Word
- Knowledge of Microsoft Project and/or Primavera P6 software is an advantage
- Understanding of data management, visualisations and / or digital tools would be desirable
- Planned and organised approach to work and meeting deadlines
- Creative approach to problem solving
Arup offers extensive opportunities for your personal and career development and:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- Opportunities to work on international projects
- Technically challenging projects that will stretch and develop your skills
- An interesting and varied workload where you'll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- Mentorship and support towards professional accreditation and career development opportunities
Does this role sound of interest to you? Please find further information below:
Assessment centres will take place from December 2020, so we recommend that you apply as soon as possible so you don't miss out on this exciting opportunity.
Please note that we are unable to offer Skilled Worker Visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
Shape your time with us
Our goal is to shape a better world. And to do that, we need to make Arup a great place to work for everyone. If we want to solve problems for people around the world, we must seek and attract the best people from the widest talent pool and create an environment that supports and includes them. We aim to encourage a culture where people can be themselves and be valued for their contribution. We therefore welcome applications from diverse candidates. This includes people with disabilities so please discuss any adjustments that you may require throughout the selection and assessment process with your recruitment contact.
At Arup, you'll be a welcomed member of the team with opportunities to participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador) or by joining one of our staff networks for women, culture or LGBT+ people. As a firm with an increasingly agile workforce, we're open to flexible working arrangements where appropriate.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Yes, temporarily due to COVID-19