This is a great opportunity to earn as you learn and get hands on experience of DevOps engineering. You’ll develop skills, knowledge and behaviours for your career with DWP Digital and be part of a great team.
Alongside gaining the skills you need for your new job role, you’ll be studying towards gaining a Level 4 DevOps engineer apprenticeship qualification.
You’ll be supported by your line manager, digital learning consultant and the wider engineering community in DWP Digital, alongside fellow apprentices. So you’ll have plenty of sponsors to help you succeed.
That said, it’s important that you can be proactive and make the most out of your time on the apprenticeship. There’s a lot to do and learn – so you need to be ready to work hard and participate in the many opportunities you’ll have.
This is a fantastic chance to be on your way to building a fantastic career within DevOps at DWP Digital and becoming a highly skilled tech professional. We hope that you’ll join us!
As an Apprentice DevOps Engineer, you’ll be focused on implementing and facilitating a DevOps culture within DWP, helping to deliver services to 22m citizens in the UK. This encompasses:
You’ll learn about:
- multiple stages of the software development life cycle
- automating processes around development
- testing and release for continuous integration of new features
- subsequent continuous delivery of a product
- common practices whilst working in a DevOps environment, including Agile, Scrum, Continuous integration, deployment, and delivery.
- networking and security principles both generally and within a DevOps context.
- DevOps tools and technologies.
- how to develop and architect infrastructure and automation pipelines.
- engineering skills to create automated, verifiable infrastructure and pipelines.
Are you ready?
The importance of digital to support our citizens is a key priority for us, and we’re looking for people with a passion to succeed. We’re very keen to attract a broad range of applicants from diverse backgrounds. So if you have the right aptitude, motivation and attitude, we want to hear from you.
We’re looking for apprentices who have the following:
- Strong logical reasoning and problem-solving skills
- A methodical, step-by-step approach
- Attention to detail
- Business skills including effective communication, teamwork and task/time management
- The ability to troubleshoot issues
- The ability to work under direction, use discretion and determine when to escalate issues
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Learning and development tailored to your role
- An environment with flexible working options
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- A Civil Service pension
- An employer pension contribution of up to 27%
- A generous annual leave allowance
- Flexible working arrangements
National - Fixed salary of £27,565.
Existing Civil Servants who secure a new role on lateral transfer should maintain their current salary.
Existing Civil Servants who gain promotion may move to the bottom of the next grade pay scale or 10% increase in salary whichever would be the greater. Only in very few circumstances (where there have been exceptional skills demonstrated which are in limited supply for example) may existing Civil Servants be able to negotiate their starting salary if the role has been advertised externally, prior to accepting the post.