Engineer Job description
Are you an Engineer looking for a complex and challenging role working at a national scale, supporting and delivering some of the UK’s largest, and most important engineering projects?
Do you want to be part of diverse multi-disciplined teams and play a key role in facilitating the security of the UK?
We have opportunities for experienced engineers with specialist skill sets to support on complex engineering problem-solving, coupled with appropriate management planning abilities.
Acting as a key player, these roles will be assisting with the definition of technical requirements, managing solution development and ensuring compliance with customer requirements.
Utilising core engineering skills, you will build positive relationships across the business and provide expert advice alongside your team of specialists. In return, we offer high-quality training and are committed to supporting career development and progression, helping you grow your sector expertise and providing financial support for the study of industry-recognised qualifications.
We would be especially keen to hear from those with experience in electrical, electronic, mechanical, and nuclear disciplines.
As part of our team, you could be working in the Air, Ships, Land, or Submarine sectors across a variety of projects.
We believe a diverse workforce improves diversity of thought and ultimately the service we can provide our armed forces. To promote female representation within this function, we actively encourage women engineers to apply, and offer full-time, part-time, flexible working and job sharing opportunities to support all employees in managing work and home responsibilities. We recognise that the best candidates for our roles may not necessarily be available within standard business hours.
Please note that due to the nature of the projects involved, some of these role require applicants to be sole UK nationals only.
- Managing engineering technical requirements (definition, architecture, integration, contract assessment, management and change)
- Producing or contributing to Engineering plans
- Collecting, collating and evaluating technical data, reviewing technical equipment and systems, including its in-service support, and making recommendations to your Engineering Manager
- Providing independent perspective on innovation and technology risk in the delivery of military capabilities
- Reviewing deliverables and ensuring technology is applied appropriately
- Contribution to effective technical management of projects and tasks for which you are responsible
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Min level 4 Qualification in an engineering subject, or can demonstrate the equivalent skills and experience
- Providing technical advice and delivering successful engineering outcomes in a work environment
- Broad technical experience in your discipline or specialist area in a variety of contexts
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
- Engineering experience in a highly regulated industry such as nuclear, rail, or air
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Technical requirements, evaluation and acceptance (Supervised Practitioner)
- Application of analytical techniques (Supervised Practitioner)
- Communicating and influencing
- Making effective decisions
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market-leading employer pension contributions of between 26.6% and 30.3% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Whilst you will be based out of the listed location, DE&S promotes Smarter working, which provides flexibility over where work is carried out whilst ensuring organisational outcomes are delivered effectively and efficiently. We adopt an ‘attend for a purpose’ approach in relation to visits to site.
Please refer to the Civil Service Pensions Retirement Modeller to get an indication of the benefits you may receive from your Civil Service Pension, when you come to retire.
We value diversity and inclusion and actively encourage and welcome applications from everyone, including those that are underrepresented in our workforce. We promote equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment and a working environment free from discrimination, harassment, bullying and victimisation.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.
Closing Date - 19th September 2021
Reference ID: 1534
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £28,050.00-£33,000.00 per year
- Company pension
- Flexible schedule
- Store discounts
- Work from home
- Temporarily due to COVID-19