As a Data Engineer you are responsible for the development and maintenance activities for the delivery of data products and services to meet customer needs to agreed timescales.
You will work within the overall product development Lifecycle Processes within Data Engineering; learning about the agreed Data Architecture and Data Engineering principles and standards to ensure the systems are fit for purpose.
The roles and responsibilities for this position include, but are not restricted to :
- Support the live data production stability by implementing fixes and creative solutions to data issues in the live environment.
- Deliver automated components which form part of data production.
- Identify and resolve issues preventing delivery or continuation of live data services.
- Carry out investigative work or research to identify problems and possible solutions, preventing delivery of robust product ready products.
- Produce comprehensive, reusable code to automate delivery of data services and products.
- Engage with data owners, suppliers, operations and end data users.
- Advising, guiding, negotiating, persuading, discussing and gaining understanding of issues.
- Integrate a variety of source data, using judgement and guidance to determine the appropriate approach.
The successful candidate will also have to undertake Security Clearance Vetting before starting the role.
A strong candidate will be able to demonstrate the essential criteria listed below:
- Able to identify simple patterns and trends.
- Investigates problems and opportunities in existing processes and contributes to recommending solutions to these.
- Works with stakeholders to identify objectives and potential benefits available.
- Designs, develops, codes, tests, corrects and documents simple programs or scripts under the direction of others.
- Understands core technical concepts related to their role and is able to apply them.
- Aware of the need to translate technical concepts into non-technical language and understands what communication is required to internal and external stakeholders.
- Can apply knowledge and experience of at least one Programming Language, e.g. SAS, SAS E-Guide or SQL.
- It is desirable that candidates hold an ITTL Foundation Certificate.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Managing a Quality Service
Making Effective Decisions
Changing and Improving
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Learning and development tailored to your role
- An environment with flexible working options
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- A Civil Service pension
- An employer pension contribution of up to 27%
- A generous annual leave allowance
- Flexible working arrangements
The salary for this role is from £31,208 to £33,448 p.a. Where the maximum salary is offered a Digital Allowance up to £4,432 is available.
Our total offer to successful candidates will be based on an assessment of your skills and experience as demonstrated at interview.
In all cases the additional Digital Allowance is non-pensionable. The requirement to continue paying an additional Digital Allowance and the amount payable is subject to review at least annually.
Existing Civil Servants who secure a new role on lateral transfer should maintain their current salary.
Existing Civil Servants who gain promotion may move to the bottom of the next grade pay scale or 10% increase in salary whichever would be the greater. Only in very few circumstances (where there have been exceptional skills demonstrated which are in limited supply for example) may existing Civil Servants be able to negotiate their starting salary if the role has been advertised externally, prior to accepting the post.