At WSP, you’ll find yourself challenged in more fascinating and far-reaching ways than ever before. You’ll explore new and inspiring opportunities to make the most of your expertise, broaden your professional horizons and create exciting new possibilities for people, organisations and society in general.
We are seeking to recruit a Senior Control & Instrumentation (C&I) Engineer to join our Thermal Power discipline helping to contribute towards its continuing success.
Working as part of a large engineering group the role requires the candidate to support the C&I Lead in the development of C&I designs on a wide range of Energy projects, including energy to waste plants, gas power plants and carbon capture schemes. The core market for the candidate will be Power Generation, but the opportunity will exist for deployment on projects across our other market sectors including Water, Industrial (including Oil & Gas) and Electricity Networks.
The UK Energy system is undergoing a huge transformation at the moment, and WSP are positioning ourselves to take a lead role in delivering this transformation. This opportunity will present the right candidate with a tremendous opportunity to be at the forefront of this transformation and to be a key part of the projects we undertake to make sure the UK Energy system is sustainable, robust, environmentally friendly and a positive legacy for future generations.
The candidate should be experienced in detail design and familiar with working for an EPC Contractor.
A typical week would include:
1. Working with the C&I Lead to develop cost-effective, efficient and innovative Control & Instrumentation solutions to complex problems, and then use engineering tools such as AutoCAD and MS Office create practical designs based on these solutions.
2. Working on projects in a variety of stages of maturity, including Feasibility Studies, Concept Designs, FEED Studies, Value Engineering, Detailed Design and there will be opportunities for site work during project construction and commissioning.
3. Working with equipment vendors on developing designs of equipment packages and participating in technical evaluations of vendor designs.
Participating in design review meetings including HAZOPs, HAZIDs, SIL Assessments and LOPAs
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- An Undergraduate Degree in relevant Engineering subject
- A Master’s Degree in relevant engineering subject would be desirable
- Membership of a relevant Engineering Institute
- The desire to work towards IEng and then CEng status with relevant institute
- Demonstrable experience in a C&I design environment
- Proficiency in the use of AutoCAD 2D to create drawings including Loop Drawings, Cable Block Diagrams, Instrument Hook-Up Drawings, Wiring Drawings, General Arrangement Drawings and Cable Routing Drawings
- Proficiency in the use MS Word to create technical reports and specifications
- Experience in the use of MS Excel to create schedules and datasheets, to undertake engineering calculations and to solve C&I engineering problems
- Experience in the use of MS Access to produce C&I designs
The candidate should have some knowledge of the following key C&I technical areas:
- Common control schemes, including P&ID Control, Feed-Forward control, Batch Control, PLC Ladder / Sequencing, Ratio Control and Fuzzy Logic
- Relevant C&I Standards including BS / ISO and Industry Standards
- Functional Safety
- Industrial Software
- Fire & Gas design practices
- Control hardware including PLCs, DCS and discrete control equipment
- Instrumentation including pressure, temperature, flow, level, position measurement
- Analytical Instrumentation including pH, CEMS, Chromatography, electro-chemical sensing, TCD, FID and optical spectroscopy
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition, we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.
WSP is one of the world's leading engineering professional services firms providing technical consultancy to the built and natural environment. We believe that for societies to thrive, we must all hold ourselves accountable for tomorrow. For us, that means creating innovative solutions to the challenges the future will bring to the communities and environments where we live and work across the UK.
We are locally dedicated and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisors, including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors and environmental specialists, as well as other design, programme and construction management professionals. Our experts design lasting solutions in the property & buildings, transportation & infrastructure, environment, industry, resources (including mining, and oil & gas) and power & energy sectors as well as project delivery and strategic consulting services. And safety and sustainability are embedded in everything that we do.
Check out www.wsp.com for more info about the great work we do.
Please note that WSP reserve the right to close this vacancy prior to the advertised closing date.