Would you like to develop systems and applications that make a difference to the educational outcomes of children and young people, both in the UK and internationally? Looking for a place where you can put your heart, soul and skills into making a difference?
We have opportunities for junior and seasoned Developers within our expanding Applications Development team. Join this super friendly team to work on some truly inspiring projects and systems development, alongside some of the UK’s most specialised educational researchers. You'll be developing high profile systems to carry out research commissioned by governments, working with international clients on building sites and systems to support education in developing countries, and enable NFER to expand on its eAssessment capabilities.
We are a data driven organisation. As an Applications Developer, you’ll translate software requirements into workable programming code and maintain and develop programs and bespoke web applications using predominately the Microsoft.NET development stack. Key responsibilities include:
- Developing web and Windows applications using object-orientated languages such as C#
- Working with relational databases
- Querying datasets from relational databases
- Ensuring all applications are developed using secure development principles and are thoroughly tested prior to release
- Maintaining, supporting and updating current and future applications
Depending on the level of role you are applying for you'll likely have some or all of the following:
- Object-oriented programming language such as C#, Java etc.
- Software testing methodologies
- Microsoft development stack (Visual Studio, ASP.NET, SQL Server, IIS, Team Foundation Server etc.)
- commercial software development practices (e.g. using source control and agile development principles)
- Web technologies such as AJAX and jQuery
- Azure DevOps, Pipeline building
Other organisations may call this role App Developer, Software Developer, C# Developer, Developer, .Net Developer, Full Stack Developer, or Programmer.
If you have experience of using AWS or Azure dev ops or configuring IIS. Knowledge of other programming/scripting languages such as Python, PHP and VBA. Experience of SharePoint development, load testing using JMeter, or use of Atlassian’s Jira / Confluence software (or similar). Experience in git.
With a 70-year history, NFER is an independent and highly respected charity that carries out research within education. Our robust and innovative research, assessment, and other services are widely known and used. We have a reputation as an organisation that informs policy and practice, helping to ensure the best possible education for children and young people.
- Competitive salary £30,000 - £42,000 DOE
- Generous pension scheme
- Free parking in private modern offices on 5 acres of parkland
- 42 days’ holiday per year including Bank Holidays plus additional discretionary days
- Excellent support for professional development
- Great work/life balance
- Remote and flexible working options
- Open to Skilled Visa Sponsorship.
We are reviewing applications regularly.
NFER is a not-for-profit organisation and an equal opportunities employer, welcoming applications from all sections of the community.