Job Title Database Developer
Our Risk, Finance and Treasury (RFT) Technology team comprises c.3,500 colleagues operating across the UK, US, India and Czech Republic. We are accountable for the delivery of business change and technology transformation for Risk, Finance and Treasury Functions globally, working in partnership with our business customers to develop and implement long term strategic IT solutions to help achieve Barclays’ strategic goals.
As a Database Developer, you’ll be contributing to various projects spanning across critical technical deliveries, regulatory projects and platform enhancements requested by the product owner or business users. With a heavy emphasis on both technical and communication skills, you’ll be collaborating closely with the Developers, Business Analysts, Architects and Project Managers across all regions and business clusters to deliver robust design and technical solutions in a controlled, transparent and risk managed approach.
What will you be doing?
What we’re looking for:
- Evaluating new requirements to find the most appropriate technical solution and contributing to the overall system design
- Taking responsibility and ownership of new feature development
- Documenting designs and communicating them with the team(s)
- Working on all aspects of analysis, design, implementation and deployment of all software, related to the core data applications
- Focusing on good code quality and high test coverage and participating in code reviews
- Contributing to the delivery of complex projects in collaboration with global teams across Barclays, to develop new or enhance existing systems
- Designing and implementing applications and data flows, for accuracy, timeliness, quality and control
Skills that will help you in the role:
- SQL development including experience of designing, optimising and maintaining a transactional system
- Database performance tuning, database queries optimisation, writing efficient functions, stored procedures and complex database queries
- Data modelling
- Scripting (shell or Python)
- Experience of working within the banking industry would be highly desirable
Where will you be working?
- Barclays Northampton is an operation of vast scale, with a huge influence and impact on the financial services industry and on the lives of millions of British people. Here, we process 18 million transactions worth more than £700 million every day. This couldn’t be possible without the collaboration between all our teams – from tech, marketing, functions, and operations – and the global partnerships our Northampton colleagues have. Our environmentally friendly office is within 5 minutes of the local town, easily accessible from the M1, and we run frequent shuttlebuses to and from Northampton train station.
Interested and want to know more about Barclays? Visit home.barclays/who-we-are/ for more details.
Everything we do is shaped by the five values of Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship. Our values inform the foundations of our relationships with customers and clients, but they also shape how we measure and reward the performance of our colleagues. Simply put, success is not just about what you achieve, but about how you achieve it.
We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our vision and goals.
Our customers are unique. The same goes for our colleagues. That's why at Barclays we offer a range of benefits, allowing every colleague to choose the best options for their personal circumstances. These include a competitive salary and pension, health care and all the tools, technology and support to help you become the very best you can be. We are proud of our dynamic working options for colleagues. If you have a need for flexibility then please discuss this with us.