Think bigger scale. Think higher profile. Think groundbreaking. Join WSP, and you’ll be at the heart of a team of international experts all dedicated to growing and sharing their expertise, and working on projects that transform society for all of us.
Our Highways team in Birmingham is expanding rapidly to meet the significant workload we have secured.
We are seeking a Principal Engineer with experience in the Highways Sector to be part of this established and experienced team working on exciting highway projects. Due to recent successes the team is growing and offers excellent opportunities for the right candidate seeking new and exciting opportunities.
The successful candidate will develop and deliver projects through various stages of design from feasibility to planning/detailed design and onto construction.
A typical week would include:
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- Leading the day-to-day technical and commercial delivery of highways projects, either as highways lead designer, design co-ordinator or project manager;
- Overseeing the production of and review high quality design documentation including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports and specifications;
- Actively taking responsibility for developing the skills and capabilities of the design teams to assist project delivery;
- Assisting in developing tools, processes and documentation to achieve efficient delivery and innovative solutions;
- Assisting in developing new business through effective relationships with Clients and project partners; and
- Working with the Regional leads, Project Directors, Project Managers and input into the Technical Leadership Forum to develop coherent design processes focusing on efficiency and ‘Future Ready’.
Specific attributes include:
- Experience of working with our key clients, e.g. Network Rail, Highways England, South Wales and North Wales Trunk Road Agencies, local authorities and major contractors, and have an understanding of the various deliverables required at each stage.
- You will be capable of working to tight project time scales, work comfortably under pressure and have an open and honest approach. Evidence of good communication and team work skills will be sought together with mentoring and motivating team members.
- You will be able to form constructive, lasting relationships with clients and professional partners and leverage these relationships to assist in work winning.
- The successful candidate will be degree qualified in civil engineering or another appropriate subject and be Chartered or Incorporated membership of an appropriate professional engineering institution.
- Experience of delivering major highways projects using DMRB design standards and MCHW specifications, especially in a design and build delivery environment;
- Working knowledge of contract procurement, specification, supervision and contract administration experience. (NEC Contract, MCHW);
- Understanding and passion for BIM. As a minimum, be conversant with BS1192 relevant standards and guidance associated with delivering in a BIM environment to Level 2;
- You will have excellent verbal and written technical and communication skills;
- Ability to manage and motivate others;
- Adept in the use of multiple software platforms, including Autodesk products (AutoCAD, Civils 3D), Bentley MX/OpenRoads and WinDes;
- Ability to produce all 2D and 3D design information required for highway assets;
- Working within a ProjectWise Common Data Environment experience is highly desirable; and
- Experience with Navisworks or Navigator would be highly desirable.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.
A little about us:
Together, our people make up one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We’re dedicated to the communities where we live and work in the UK and propelled by international brainpower. Staying curious is what drives us. Looking at challenges from fresh angles helps us deliver future-ready solutions that break paradigms.
With around 7,900 talented people in 70+ offices across the UK, and 43,000 around the world, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come.