Having a thirst for knowledge and the ability to think creatively are highly valued in OS Engineering’s culture and ethos. Our engineering team is working to develop the next generation of cloud-based systems, that drive our world leading geospatial and business applications.
We have an opportunity for a highly motivated Engineer to join one of our forward-thinking Agile development teams. This exciting role will challenge you to understand requirements and develop cutting edge solutions for our customers.
With a strong background in delivering at pace to a high standard, experience around Development, Deployment, Debugging, Testing (TDD, BDD), Scaling and Monitoring secure systems is expected. You will have daily contact with stakeholders and team members. We will encourage you to identify opportunities to advocate best practice to Associate Engineers and Technicians in your team.
Within the role, you will conduct the following:
Here’s a snapshot of the technologies that we use:
- Develop, configure and deploy production ready code and systems
- Carry out code inspections and peer reviews to provide assurance of code quality
- Provide 3rd level support for production systems that you have developed
- Continuously maintain and improve your level and currency of technical skills
- Share knowledge and advocate best practice to help optimise team delivery
- Actively participate in development team activities
Azure DevOps, Azure Cloud Services, C#, Python, RESTful APIs, SQL, PowerShell, FME, ESRI tools (Enterprise, ArcPro), Databricks.
What we’re looking for:
If you’re interested in being part of our team, were looking for an individual that can demonstrate skills in the following criteria:
Skills in the following would be advantageous:
- Software configuration, engineering of Python or C# based solutions
- Working with Azure DevOps and Azure Cloud Services
- Knowledge of modern engineering best practice and a keen interest in the latest technologies, patterns and trends (e.g. CI, CD)
- Iterative and incremental development
- Problem resolution & selection of technical solutions
- Qualified to relevant development certification (or equivalent experience)
RESTful APIs, Big Data/Machine Learning techniques and working with ESRI tools and/or Geospatial Data
We want you to love what you do. That’s why our benefits package rewards a job well done. We’ll give you:
- Salary: £35,700-£39,900 (dependent on experience)
- Performance related bonus
- Competitive pension
- 37 hour working week, with flexible working options
- 25 days annual leave – Plus bank holidays and an extra 3 over Christmas
- Training and development – We offer in-house training, a variety of masterclasses, bespoke training, study leave, access to learning resources and professional membership subscriptions
- A wide range of additional benefits including free parking, paid volunteer day, support with health and wellbeing, sports and social activities, staff discount on over 500 national stores and more
Ordnance Survey (OS) is the national mapping agency for Great Britain, and a world-leading geospatial data and technology organisation. As a reliable partner to government, business and citizens across Britain and the world, OS helps its customers in virtually all sectors improve quality of life. OS expertise and data supports efficient public services and infrastructure, new technologies in transport and communications, national security and emergency services and exploring the great outdoors. By being at the forefront of geospatial capability for more than 225 years, we’ve built a reputation as the world’s most inspiring and trusted geospatial partner.
We're passionate about the four core values that make up our organisation: we're adventurous, incisive, restless and true.
- Adventurous: New technology and new markets mean that location data opens more opportunities than ever before
- Incisive: We find simple solutions to complex problems, always looking for clarity and imaginative connections
- Restless: We recognise our work for our customers is never done
- True: We give our customers precise and productive solutions to their location problems
This role will be based at our Headquarters in Southampton
Please upload your covering letter and CV demonstrating your suitability for the role
Sunday 29th March 2020
Ordnance Survey is committed to making inclusion an everyday reality and promoting a diverse workforce. We aim to provide an environment that supports and encourages equality and collaborative learning. We have active employee networks for Women’s development, LGBT+, Disability and an Autism ambassador on site. We are looking for talented and experienced individuals from a range of backgrounds and welcome applications from women, those returning to the workforce after a break and/or those with a disability or on the autistic spectrum, where your technical abilities are sought after and valued. Each individual at OS brings their own perspectives, work experiences, lifestyles, and cultures with them, and we believe that a more diverse team builds more innovative products, provides a better service to our customers, and helps us all grow and learn as individuals.