£37,292 - £42,650
SLC - Technology Group and Estates
Type of role
Number of posts
About the job
- To drive and implement a comprehensive test strategy using appropriate testing tools and techniques.
- To introduce new practices and techniques to SLC whilst conforming to agreed standards.
- To facilitate knowledge transfers to other testers within the department.
- To work closely with BSAs and developers to understand and define the system requirements/acceptance criteria of user stories and upcoming features. To understand the impact of said software on other areas of the system. To identify gaps in the requirements.
- To identify the scope of testing including systems integration and regression testing. To apply test techniques to ensure coverage.
- To work with development to ensure a comprehensive and robust suite of automated tests from unit and integration tests to user journey tests.
- To identify data requirements to satisfy test cases and create and maintain test data.
- To ensure continuous exploratory/manual testing of each functional area/user story against different layers of the system such as the web service layer, user interface layer.
- To check outputs including screen, file and database updates to ensure system effectiveness.
- To ensure comprehensive test strategies are in place for non-functional areas such as performance and load.
- To ensure processes used within the team meet quality standards and champion the use of new practices where appropriate.
- To prepare documents for internal and external use to agreed standards.
- To discuss and review outputs produced by team members and ensure standards across the team are maintained.
- To demonstrate working functionality/user stories to the product owner and/or during team showcases.
- To provide input into user story points/estimates.
- To raise and escalate issues.
- To participate in team meetings including planning meetings, daily stand-ups and retrospectives.
- To keep up-to-date with emerging technologies.
- To work with minimal supervision.
- To provide leadership, motivate, mentor and train other staff.
- A further education qualification in a computer related discipline or demonstrable relevant practical experience.
- Proven track record of testing software developments in a structured environment.
- Ability to question team members and SMEs to discover details of proposed functionality, rather than gather all information from formal documentation. To then fully understand the scope of testing, including
which business processes and system functions need to be included.
- Ability to test partially-completed functionality, understand what a defect is and what has not been implemented yet, and provide constructive feedback to developers.
- Experience of defect lifecycle and ability to advise on tests to put in place after fixes are made.
- Ability to work in a continually changing environment, adapting to changing requirements and priorities at short notice.
- Excellent understanding of test levels (from unit tests to UAT) and ability to advise the team on what to test (and what not to test) as part of a cohesive testing strategy.
- Ability to propose improvements on project practices and processes to improve effectiveness of the team and delivery of the software.
- Sound technical skills; understanding of high-level system architecture components such as application servers, databases and web services. Understanding of basic programming constructs.
- Experience in one or more test frameworks and scripting automated functional tests.
- Experience of working from the command-line.
- Good team player with excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to interact and collaborate with people from development, business analysis, project management and SME disciplines.
- Experience working in an agile environment; iterations less than 4 weeks, design to delivery.
- Experience working on user stories and defining clear acceptance criteria.
- Ability to work on own initiative and manage own time and workload.
- Practical experience of successfully mentoring and coaching others.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Communicating and Influencing
Making Effective Decisions
Delivering at Pace
Managing a Quality Service
In addition to salary we offer a range of benefits from which you can choose to add to your total package. Here are just some examples from a list of many:
- Flexible working contracts
- Performance related pay awards
- Retail discounts
- Buy and sell holidays