THC 3D CAD Design Engineer (“CDE”)
The Hatchbag Company, Birkenhead, Wirral, UK
Design Manager, The Hatchbag Company
£17,000 to £20,000 depending on skills and experience
Our company is a leading boot liner manufacturer with a wide range of bespoke, high quality boot liners
for a wide variety of vehicles in the UK and Europe. We have comprehensive marketing, design and
manufacturing capabilities covering many techniques to promote, develop and produce custom made
The Design Department
The principle function of the design department is to design and develop Bootliners, using a laser scanner,
2D and 3D CAD modelling software to create patterns to match specific vehicle requirements. The
department works closely with Commercial, Marketing and Production to fulfil commercial demands.
The Goal is to expand the capacity of boot liner designs to keep pace with an increasing demand.
The role of the 3D CAD Design Engineer
1. Product Design:
- Understudy to the design team learning the skills required to design a bootliner
- Increase the efficiency of boot liner design
- Learn the use of Solidworks design software and/or other appropriate design software
- Learn techniques to rapidly and accurately scan car boots with a 3D laser scanner to facilitate
boot liner design.
2. Commercial Support:
- Ensure that designs are approved internally and externally to successfully meet orders.
- Product Research
- Support product design with marketing photos and text
- Support product design with supplementary documents
- Support digital marketing with uploads to website
- Be responsible for the administration and communication between Design and the Commercial
and Production departments
- Technical support to customers via telephone
The role will be office based for the majority of the time, however, some travel from time to time may
- Building and maintaining processes with customers, marketing and production
- Acting as a point of contact between the clients and the Design Department.
- Carrying out other necessary administrative duties in the Design department.
- Ensuring a smooth flow of boot liner approvals from the initial customer into the Design
- Working with various design software to improve new designs, or improve existing bootliner
- Will be involved in planning and scheduling of prototypes in order to maximise the efficiency
and productivity of Design Department.
- Communicating effectively with customers and other areas of the business via email, verbal and
- Design Manager (THC)
- Commercial/Marketing Manager (THC)
- Good knowledge of 3D CAD surface modelling software such as SolidWorks.
- Excellent accuracy and attention to detail.
- Mind-set to understand object dimensions and develop products in 3D
- Detail orientation with regards to design and instructions
- Well organised and proactive.
- Strong communication skills at all levels.
- Able to build strong working relationships and be approachable and collaborative.
- Proficient IT awareness in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel.
Desired Attributes / Skills
- Flexibility to travel across various sites on the Wirral.
- Analytical and able to understand sales / production targets.
- Good knowledge of Graphic design software such as Adobe Illustrator
- Degree in Design/Engineering
- A second European language other than English
- A Graduate looking to start or develop their career in 3D CAD Modelling.
- Relevant experience within a product design environment would be an advantage.
Core Competencies of the Role
1 Aware of quality standards related to position.
Ensures own work meets quality standards.
Ensures accuracy and consistency in all work completed.
Adheres to processes and procedures to ensure standards are maintained.
2 Aware of quality standards beyond own position.
Ensures contribution from others to own work meets quality standards.
Sets high personal standards.
Understands desired end result and questions activities which may compromise standards.
3 Mindset focused on excellence/best practice.
Defines new or improves existing quality standards.
Identifies consequences of not achieving standards.
Takes action to avoid standards being compromised.
Data Management Innovative Efficiency
3 2 3 3 3
Analysis & Judgement
Analytical Thinking Conceptual Thinking Critical
Decision Making Risk Management
2 2 2 2 1
Developing Others Performance Management Training Others Compliance
1 1 1 3
Business Knowledge Commercial Awareness Strategic Thinking Financial Awareness Process Knowledge
1 2 1 1 3
3 2 3 3 1 3 3 3
Working with Others
2 3 1 2 3
- The CDE will be managed by the Design Manager at THC. A daily Line Manager interface regarding
Design Issues which may arise. A daily Line Management interface with the Design Manager on
an informal basis concerning targets, issues and quality requirements. This communication
happens informally, face to face and using email.
- The CDE will also have a regular and frequent communication with the Design Manager/
- The CDE will liaise with THC Quality Environment H&S Manager, THC PVC Sewing Department and
THC PVC Cutting Department and employees regarding daily communication on an informal basis
to ensure the suitability of new designs for manufacturing purposes.
Service Provider Interfaces
- THC Commercial Department: This departmental interface involves occasional communication on
an informal basis concerning targets, standards and issues which require daily involvement.
- THC PVC Cutting/Welding & Sewing Departments: This is an informal and infrequent interface
relating to specific designs, prioritisation and quality.
- THC Quality Environment H&S Manager: This is an informal and infrequent interface concerning
specific quality standards being maintained in a timely manner.
Key to Relationships
The 3D CAD Design Engineer is managed through annual appraisals with objectives and Key Performance
- In addition to the duties and responsibilities listed, other duties may be assigned by the
- This document is a guide to the role. It may be changed from time to time to meet changing
circumstances. It does not form part of any Contract of Employment.
Candidates should apply by sending in a covering letter along with a Curriculum Vitae and a link
to your on-line Portfolio via to firstname.lastname@example.org.
THC 3D CAD Design Engineer Specification
29th May 2019