About Mettler Toledo
METTLER TOLEDO is a leading global supplier of precision instruments and services. We are recognized as an innovation leader and our solutions are critical in key R&D, quality control, and manufacturing processes for customers in a wide range of industries including life sciences, food, and chemicals. We operate throughout the world with a culture shaped by innovation and international flair.
Our Opening and Your Responsibilities
We have paused some of our recruitment activity at Mettler Toledo given the circumstances about the COVID-19. It is complex time for us all and as a result, this will pose difficulties in onboarding new colleagues into the organisation.
However, we will continue to work in the background in regards to this particular position. Please be aware that you may experience some delays in the recruitment process under the current circumstances.
We have an exciting opening for a Product Engineering Manager to come and join our SAFELINE X-RAY team in Royston. The Product Engineering Manager must ensure that all engineering projects are delivered to a high quality standard. You can achieve this through leading a multi-disciplinary team developing new products, but also by leading initiatives that raise and maintain a high level of engineering quality. You will be expected to work with other key change agents in the business to support the deployment of the overall engineering strategy. Key objective of the role is to consistently maintain the level of capability, flexibility, quality and timely delivery that is required by the business. Initial team size is around 12, consisting of project managers and engineers.
- Lead and direct the project managers to delivery products in line with the company's formal New Product Development system.
- Empower the team (and beyond) to build initiative, take sensible risks, collaborate, trust and knock down barriers.
- Work closely with Product Management to ensure the team develops the right products for customers and the business. This includes customer documentation and sales material.
- Work closely with the Technology Research Group to ensure that new technologies bring the required customer value and are sufficiently mature before integration in new products.
- Work closely with the department heads (engineering and operations) to ensure the smooth introduction of new products and sub-systems into production.
- Ensure the team works effectively with the Finance, Quality and Service teams.
- Act as site champion and build a culture for good engineering and new product development practices.
- Enable the team to deal effectively with the business pressures; changing priorities, decision making with insufficient data, problem solving and overcoming people obstacles.
- Flexible / creative approach to resource management – utilize network, remote resources etc.
- Support the cross business harmonization of designs, components and sub-systems.
What You Need to Succeed
The successful candidate will be Degree qualified in a relevant engineering (design) discipline (e.g. automotive, electronics, software, mechanical, aeronautical) and have significant design experience within complex electro-mechanical products, involving mechanical design, software and electronics.
Having significant experience of managing projects through a formal stage/gate approval process as well experience of planning and executing verification and validation activities is essential for us. You will be a master at applying relevant and effective techniques to deliver high quality designs (e.g. TQI, lean six-sigma, V-model, FMEA, DfX - Design for eXcellence, design for cost etc).
We also expect you to have significant experience of delivering successful products to market that can be applied to high value industrial solutions as well as extensive experience of coordinating different engineering functions (mechanical CAD designers, electrical, electronics and software engineers) to deliver products to meet customer requirements.
A good understanding of materials and manufacturing processes with previous experience of industrial product validation (including test methods and relevant external standards – particularly electrical safety) is important. Previous experience of applying Agile methodology to industrial products would be highly valuable, as would any previous experience gained in the automotive industry.
This role may require occasional travel within the UK and overseas.
Our Offer to You
- Competitive salary
- Employee Bonus Scheme
- Life Assurance x4
- Holidays 25 + statutory
Equal Opportunity Employment
We promote equal opportunity worldwide and value diversity in our teams in terms of business background, area of expertise, gender and ethnicity. For more information on our commitment to Sustainability, Diversity and Equal Opportunity please visit us here