Project Engineer (Civil)
Tata Steel Strip Products UK
Capital Projects and Design
Competitive + Benefits
Opportunities for permanent, fixed term and temporary contracts
11:00pm on Monday 9th November 2020
We’re investing for the future to create a sustainable steel industry. We have a number of exciting opportunities for Project Engineers to support us in achieving this
Tata Steel is one of the world’s top ten steel producers. The combined group has an aggregate crude steel capacity of more than 28 million tonnes and approximately 80,000 employees across four continents. We’re part of the Tata Group, one of the largest, most diverse conglomerates in the world with businesses in the UK including Tata Steel, Jaguar Land Rover and Tetley Tea.
Our Strip Products UK manufactures hot-rolled, cold-rolled and metallic-coated strip steels and provides solutions in product design, processing technologies and management of the supply chain. We work closely with our customers to help them obtain the best results from our products. Our business aims to lead the market with the best products and services and we work continuously to improve them.
Our Capital Projects team deliver some of the UK’s most complex, diverse and challenging engineering and construction projects. There is the opportunity to work on both cutting edge innovative projects, as well as vast heavy engineering construction projects, such is the diversity of the technology and processes within the Steel Industry. In most cases our projects are both strategically important to the UK Strip Steel business and also high value.
We currently have several vacancies within our Capital Projects Delivery team. As a Project Engineer you will be part of a team of engineers that are either responsible for managing projects from “cradle to grave” for small projects (<£3m), or for managing discrete elements of major projects. This can include the design, engineering and implementation of innovative solutions that enable Tata to comply with legislation, create new products and achieve its ambitious manufacturing and productivity goals.
You will own the design and technical scope of a project and where required will also own project management functions such as timelines, budgets and stakeholder engagement/management. You will be involved in, and will be required to lead elements of complex, multi-disciplinary projects, developing technical requirements and timelines, driving projects through to completion. Responsibilities with this position will include but not be limited to:
- Maintain high standards of Health and Safety throughout the project lifecycle through ensuring that:
o The working environment is organised, respectful, inclusive, healthy and appropriate for the work being undertaken
o The use of Inherently Safe Design of equipment and processes
o The 6 Stage Hazard Study process is rigorously applied
o Ongoing engagement takes place with direct, indirect and contractor teams
- Assist the Project Manager in preparing and developing robust Business Cases for the justification of Capital Expenditure projects
- Develop and implement new and innovative solutions that leverage best available technology and automated systems to achieve Tata’s goal of highly automated and resilient manufacturing processes
- Evaluate design proposals from both contractors and Tata Engineers designing out or minimising maintenance, and ensure and sound detailing to assist in maintenance planning, taking account of health and safety needs, identifying hazards and introducing safeguards at an early stage.
- Specifying equipment and technical requirements, where required leveraging suppliers, technical authorities and outside partners for solution development and design
- Technical project engineering, management and implementation:
o Manage budget, timeline and scope
o Manage the construction and installation of equipment on site
o Support trouble-shooting during installation and start-up
o Smooth handoff to operations
- Effectively communicate, negotiate and collaborate with vendors, internal management and other engineers in the Projects and Design Engineering team.
- Ensure high levels of Health & Safety management during all Project Stages including full compliance with the Process Safety Process, CDM Compliance and compliance with appropriate legislation.
What are we looking for?
As an experienced Civil Project Engineer you will be expected to have a strong understanding of all aspects of Civil works including, Design, Construction Techniques, CDM Regulations and Temporary Works. Ideally you will be an experienced Temporary Works Co-ordinator who is able to check and validate basic designs and to confidently engage with 3rd parties to check complex designs. You will have experience of earthworks and heavy civils and ideally some experience or understanding of structural works. The type of works you will engineer, manage and deliver as a Civil Engineer within Tata Steel will be varied, and can range from basic foundations for buildings/structures to complex heavy civils for large dynamic loads across multiple levels.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Project Management or Construction Management (or equivalent)
- 5+ years of technical project management/engineering experience
- Ability to see a project from concept to delivery whilst working in a close-knit, team environment
- Experience of managing project/construction activities within a highly regulated environment
- Values people, ethics, commitment, fun and an engaging culture.
- Strong analytical and organisational skills. Ability to manage several complex work streams at the same time with high degrees of variation and uncertainty.
- Natural ability to speak and write effectively at all organisational levels.
Preferred Qualifications/Experience (not Essential)
- Knowledge of or experience with heavy industry and brownfield developments
- Process Safety knowledge and experience of the requirements of a Tier 1 COMAH site
- Formal SHE (Safety, health and Environment) training or qualifications in CDM, Occupational H&S, NEBOSH, etc.
- Formal project management qualifications (PRINCE2, APMP, PMP, etc.)
What We Offer
Tata Steel UK offers their employees significant benefits packages. For this role, you will benefit from:
- A market competitive salary
- Private Healthcare Scheme (Individual cover)
- Annual Bonus Scheme – subject to business performance
- One of the UK’s leading defined contribution pension schemes (10% employer contribution / 6% employee contribution)
- Annual Pay Review
- Employee discount scheme for companies including Vodafone, Nissan, Jaguar Land Rover and also various local services
You may be also interested to know that we have an extensive list of lifestyle benefits including free onsite parking at all of our sites, an employee assistance programme as well as discounts with local and national retailers and services
** Please note that any offers for temporary positions will sit inside of IR35. **