Jacobs is one of the world’s largest and most diverse providers of full-spectrum technical, professional and consultancy services for industrial, commercial and government organisations globally.
With more than 77,000 people globally, our teams collaborate, innovate and create. Our people are proud to have been behind some of the greatest consultancy and engineering feats over the past 70 years.
We foster a collaborative and inclusive environment for our people, and our partners, and we want you to be a part of our growing business.
We encourage applications from candidates looking for flexible working or reduced hours’ contracts.
We are looking to appoint a HV electrical engineer to strengthen our substation design team with the ability to liaise directly with clients and grow our activities in transmission and distribution substation design, such as supporting National Grid and DNO FEED frameworks. The candidate needs to be strong technically and can utilise their skills to drive growth in our business and our people. This opportunity is to support our activities in transmission and distribution substation design in supporting National Grid’s and DNO FEED frameworks and other major energy clients.
We have design teams based at offices in Croydon, Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff and Exeter, however we require the flexibility to work across all our offices and client locations.
As part of our team you’ll be providing a range of services from feasibility design through to the preparation of technical specifications, production of detailed construction drawings and design compliance checks throughout the design process on all elements of HV primary plant and substation configuration.
In your role, you’ll be required to provide Project Design Management and Substation Design Engineering for the full range of HV Substation design activities.
Key responsibilities include:
- The day-to-day management and coordination of allocated design teams including HV Substation Plant, Protection & Control, HV Cable, Civil Engineers and CAD Technicians
- Coordination of inputs being provided by other departments and external groups, such as survey/geotechnical, transport and environmental
- Managing agreed project programmes and deliverables
- Ensuring the design meets all the client’s scoping requirements and compliance with their technical specifications
- Conducting engineering reviews, quality assurance checks and approval of design drawings, reports, construction programmes and other deliverables
- Attending and chairing Design Reviews, Hazard Reviews and other related meetings
- Acting as main point of contact with the client during the various design phases.
Jacobs is a “Relationship” focused company and the building and developing of these relationships with our clients is a significant and important part of this role.
You need to enjoy working in a team environment and where necessary using your expertise to guide other members of staff. You’ll also require the ability to lead bid preparation, deliver to tight timescales, be technically accurate and to manage a number of schemes simultaneously, either as the lead or as part of a team. Strong verbal and written communication skills, and excellent quantitative and problem-solving skills are essential as part of this role.
Jacobs have a strong ethos for safety in our BeyondZero approach, so you would be expected to have a positive attitude to health and safety, especially to eliminate or reduce the risk early in the design process,
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or Masters in Electrical Engineering, but candidates holding HNC/ HND qualifications and proven ability will also be considered
- Membership of IEE, IET or similar Engineering Institution
- Proven technical ability in the design and application of HV power system plant up to and including 400kV, including LV electrical systems, earthing design and also have an understanding of other engineering disciplines (civil, protection & control)
At Jacobs we see safety differently - we strive to go ‘BeyondZero’ by putting the health, safety and well-being of our employees first in everything we do.
We are committed to equality across our business and we work with external organisations such as STEM, WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and Stonewall . We are also Disability Confident Committed ; therefore, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy.
When you join Jacobs you will have access to a wide range of Global Networks , centred on inclusion and diversity which is the foundation of our business and at the centre of our values. To find out more about our networks, please visit our website; www.jacobs.com
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.