Your new role
Join us as a Principal Engineer – Drainage where you will provide technical expertise to engineers involved in the identification and evaluation of asset specific needs and development of solutions, acting as the technical authority for highway drainage assets.
As a member of a team of professional civil engineers, you will be responsible for the development of asset specific management plans and leading the development of early solutions that support the delivery of a wide variety of drainage renewal and improvement schemes to ensure the Strategic Road Network in the South West safely meets the requirements of our customers now and into the future.
Throughout the planning and development stage of a project, you will manage an array of drainage renewal and improvement schemes across the Highways England strategic road network. Using a combination of internal and external resources during the feasibility design process, the successful candidate shall drive forward highway engineering schemes in order to identify and propose engineering schemes that demonstrates safety and best value for the customers and road users of the strategic road network.
This role shall provide an excellent opportunity to apply your expert civil engineering and asset management knowledge, skills and significant experience to your specific discipline in highway infrastructure engineering and asset management.
As a flexible working organisation we offer this role from our Bristol or Exeter offices. There will be a requirement to travel between our offices and those of our stakeholders and partners.
You will be required to drive as part of your role and you will need to have a full clean driving license to be considered for this position and during employment. The role may be required to work unsociable hours.
What you’ll be leading on
- Ensure the health and safety needs and wellbeing of customers and employees are fully considered and accounted for throughout the planning and delivery of each service activity.
- Develop asset specific management plans and ensure asset management decisions adhere to defined policies and standards, provide value for money and maximize contribution to the delivery of business objectives.
- Identify, prioritise and manage asset need in accordance with required governance and to achieve business objectives.
- Provide specialist technical expertise and assurance in the development of early solutions for renewals and improvement schemes, in line with agreed methodologies and prioritization criteria, and taking into account new techniques, materials, buildability, and costs.
- Identify and commission survey works to support the improvement and/or renewal of assets; to check and approve technical briefs, reports, specifications, drawings and supporting information.
- Support collaboration with engineering colleagues, Project Managers, Service Delivery Managers and Route Managers to ensure forward programme plans reflect asset needs, priorities and strategies.
- Coach and support the professional development of more junior team members.
To be successful
- Chartered or Incorporated Engineer with extensive experience, or equivalent experience
- You will hold a degree in relevant discipline, HND, or HNC with relevant experience, or equivalent experience
- Expert knowledge of asset specific Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB) standards and their application on the highways network
- Proven experience in highways infrastructure design, construction and delivery methods
- Proven experience in working within budgets including the creation of a budget for scheme development
- Understanding of the Value Management process and/or cost benefit analysis of schemes
- Excellent stakeholder management skills with the ability to influence and work collaboratively with specialist teams across organisational boundaries.
A bit about us
Making sure our customers have safe and reliable journeys is at the heart of everything we do in Operations. We keep the roads open for business and play a key role in making sure the network we manage is fit for purpose today and for the future.