Job Family_ Engineering.
Johnson Matthey (‘JM’) is a global leader in science that enables a cleaner and healthier world. With over 200 years of sustained commitment to innovation and technological breakthroughs, we improve the function, performance and safety of our customers’ products. Our science has a global impact in areas such as low emission transport, pharmaceuticals, chemical processing and making the most efficient use of the planet’s natural resources. Today more than 14,000 Johnson Matthey professionals collaborate with our network of customers and partners to make a real difference to the world around us.
Efficient Natural Resources is an autonomous business, one of four sectors within Johnson Matthey, with revenues of circa £1 billion (circa £7 billion including precious metals) and operations worldwide.
Platinum Group Metal Services (PGMS) is one of four businesses within the Efficient Natural Resources Sector that manages, distributes, refines and recycles precious metals and fabricates products using precious metals and related materials. The business unit also manufactures platinum group metals, minor metal compounds, organometallics and fine metal powders for high technology applications, as well as providing a range of management services for platinum group metals.
We are currently recruiting for an EC&I Engineer in Platinum Group Metal Services to provide technical support in Electrical, Control & Instrumentation across JM Refining & Chemicals Europe (R&CE), on the Royston site. To support the implementation of the C&I and electrical power distribution strategies to ensure business needs current and future are met. To ensure recognised standards with regards alarm management and safety related control functions are implemented across R&CE sites so that process safety is delivered. Ensure the loop calibrations are completed to satisfy ISO9001 and 14001 requirements. Working with the Lead Engineer, ensure contingency plans are in place to support site controls systems and instrumentation as well as the power distribution to meet the business/operational needs. To ensure the Royston site meets with all electrical statutory inspections and maintenance requirements. Key responsibilities
- Proactively promote a positive Health & Safety culture and ensure adherence to JM policies (including HR/EHS/Security).
- Ensure contractors are properly managed and that they conform to all Johnson Matthey HR/EHS/Security policies and procedures.
- To provide technical support in Electrical, Control & Instrumentation to the site Maintenance team. This support will typically be solving technical problems and running small projects arising from the Maintenance dept. There is also a requirement to escalate issues up the chain if required.
- Implement recognised standards with regards functional safety such as IEC61511 to ensure safety of our processes through use of instrumentation.
- Support safe operation of equipment through implementation of recognised standards such as IEC61508 to ensure all electrical, electronic and programmable electronic equipment operates correctly to achieve functional safety.
- Ensure that electrical compliance is achieved through adherence with all legislative requirements surrounding statutory inspections, maintenance and close out of remedial actions.
- Manage the weekly and annual loop calibration function for ISO9001 and 14001, ensuring compliance.
- Play an active part in a programme of audits with regards ATEX 137 & DSEAR so that equipment suitability is met within hazardous areas and that a programme of detailed equipment inspections is in place for each R&CE site.
- Provide support on electrical, controls and instrumentation technical information on capital projects.
- Provide site support of 3rd party contracts with regards Controls & Instrumentation as well as HV/LV including assistance in setting up and reviewing contract and 3rd party performance with site teams.
- Identity training needs for on-site ECI maintenance team and establish training packages to work with/support our LV networks, control systems including PLCs and SCADA systems, variable speed drives and HMis where relevant.
- Improvements in accordance with Manufacturing Excellence requirements.
- Participate in activities such as 5S, CES, Root Cause Problem Solving and Standard Work.
- EC&I spares ordering support for maintenance team where required.
- Regular review of EC&I backlog and liaison with maintenance planner to ensure adherence to KPIs.
- EC&I team tech support & co-ordination of work routines.
Are you the ideal candidate?
You will have_
- Experience in working within a chemical or similar high-risk industry.
- HND/HNC in Electrical, Control or Instrumentation
- Relevant experience with EC&I in the processing industry.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Instrumentation & Process Control
- Understanding of DSEAR / ATEX regulations
- Experience in managing contractors and service contracts
How to apply_
Internal applicants should advise their line manager before applying. If you have the necessary skills and experience to join our team, please apply online –
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis.
Johnson Matthey Plc is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.