Scope of Role:
Working across operations, supply chain and design engineering to provide manufacturing engineering expertise in supporting existing and new products, defining new and supporting existing processes. You will assist in the implementation of strategic Lean initiatives throughout the Company, leading some Continuous Improvement projects.
Position Requirements:Professional Knowledge & Experience:
- Work with manufacturing cell leaders, lean co-ordinator and design engineering to improve process efficiencies
- Implement ‘Standard work’, generating & maintaining manufacturing documentation (SOP’s, Routings, “Visual Factory” displays)
- Creation & Maintenance of Routings in the MRP system
- Implement lean manufacturing methods (e.g. 1-piece flow lines, visual factory) to reduce throughput times, rework/scrap and work in progress
- Implement basic improvement tools, from 5S, 7 Wastes, Visual Management and Standardised Work balanced assembly lines where single (best) piece flow philosophies are employed
- Implement any required layout changes, ensuring both the facilities and maintenance teams are fully involved
- Support the Manufacturing Cells with their recording, and analysis of production data, and ensure the correct focus is placed on the main issues arising
- Assist in establishing product cycle times and monitor actual performance against the standard with the key intent of reducing manufacturing labour content on those products identified by the Director of Operations
- Initiate and / or lead improvement projects and CAPEX to enable new process and product introductions.
- Work with Engineering on product documentation modifications and parts obsolescence
- Provide day-to-day manufacturing engineering support for the production cells to enable customer schedule adherence (Fracas/concessions, change notes or MRB (material review board)
- Leading (suggest changes to and support engineering) and working to ensure the most cost effective manufacturing process flows are defined when introducing new products into operations.
- Lead and work in teams to develop process FMEA, in their construction and implementation.
- Manage new product introductions and the manufacture of legacy products from release to production through the product life cycle.
- Mentor for cell leaders for improved methods of manufacturing assembly and test.
1. Proven experience of working within a similar role
2. Previous experience of NPI
3. Experience of implementing Standard Work processes
4. Proven record of successfully implementing Lean in an industrial environment (either as a co-ordinator or as a leader)
5. A proven track record of generating and maintaining process maps, PFMEA’s and control plans
6. Strong knowledge of lean manufacturing principles
7. Experience of using problem solving techniques (5 Why’s, Fishbone/Ishikawa diagrams, 8D)
8. Significant technical & problem solving experience in an electro-mech. manufacturing environment.
9. Good time management with a significant track record of planning / managing complex long term projects.
10. Significant IT skills, Microsoft Office, Word and Excel at Intermediate level
11. Experience of working within an Aerospace Manufacturing environment, Automotive or very closely related industry.
12. Methodical/logical approach with strong attention to detail and results orientated with the ability to work to strict deadlines
13. Team player, able to work in a concurrent engineering team
14. Good command of the English language, verbal reasoning and very articulate with the ability to communicate at all levels both externally and internally
15. Good presentation and communication skills to groups of around 10 people
16. Self motivated and takes ownership with a proactive approach with the ability to work independently, maintaining team communication
17. Handles pressure well, with a flexible approach to work and a willingness to learn and develop
18. Strong leadership qualities with a strong aptitude for motivating others
19. Knowledge of ERP MRP system
20. Theoretical background and practical experience in process control techniques such as, gauge repeatability and reproducibility, design of experiments and statistical process control
Education & Qualifications:
1. Good overall college education to A Level or equivalent.
2. Mechanical / Manufacturing / Electrical HND
3. Engineering Degree
4. Professional Membership (M.I.ET, I.Mech.E)
5. Apprenticeship or equivalent training