PHP Software Developer
GCD was founded in 1999 by our two founders, in their student accommodation in Queen’s University, Belfast. It was a time of dial up internet, Netscape browsers and Napster. People didn’t ‘google’ things, smartphones didn’t exist and business software was grey and dreary.
Our ambition back then was (and still is) to create better software for businesses; to replace those ‘grey’ out of the box digital solutions, that barely work and are a pain to use, with beautifully designed custom software products and platforms that help businesses innovate, compete and win.
How we work
Behind our software solutions is a close-knit team of dedicated, ambitious engineers, thinkers and inventors. We love what we do - imagining, designing and building custom software solutions and apps that defy expectations and deliver results for our clients.
Our PHP is fully object orientated using SOLID principles to deliver robust engineering solutions for our clients. We develop using a service orientated approach and are looking for candidates who care about separating concerns, decoupling dependencies and unit testing their work.
In addition to PHP, our other tech stacks such as TypeScript/React/Node will give you plenty of opportunity to grow your skills and cross over into new and upcoming platforms.
For all our staff, we offer a flexible approach to working, giving them the choice to work from where they feel they will be most productive, whether that’s at home, in the office or a blend of both. This role is for those seeking a fully remote experience, so you can be based anywhere in the UK but you’ll still be part of the GCD family.
We adopt a Remote First approach to our processes and how we work, so for those who are fully remote, we ensure that all meetings are held via Google Meet, even those who are based in the office.
Read on to learn more about the role responsibilities...
Key Responsibilities of a PHP Software Developer:
At GCD, have four key principles of responsibility:
- WORK PRODUCTIVELY
- WORK SKILLFULLY
- WORK COLLABORATIVELY
- WORK PROFESSIONALLY
In each of these pillars you’ll find key areas of responsibility, leadership and commercial awareness which we expect of our Software Developers, some of these include:
- Build high performance, secure applications with the very best of user experiences in mind.
- Be aware of the client’s budget on individual features and the project as a whole.
- Make pragmatic decisions based on value to the customer and their business.
- Liaise with the customer to clarify questions or get further information
- Respect your teammates by ensuring you test your own work to a high standard; create unit and automated tests wherever possible and develop a methodical approach to testing your own user interfaces.
- Be ready to share the load and help those who need it.
- Love learning, be curious and always be growing your skills and experience.
- Develop a depth of understanding in computer science, programming theory and software security.
- Write good documentation & record time sheets diligently.
- Be mindful that you are also part of a wider team in GCD and proactively contribute to a team culture that challenges convention, promotes robustness and delivers more.
- Work with a remote first mentality, thinking of ways to communicate and work effectively with a blended team using tools that give everyone equal opportunity to discuss, develop solutions and be part of the GCD family.
If all that sounds like the perfect opportunity for you then there are just a few more essential criteria you need:
- Ability to undertake the responsibilities of being a software engineer at GCD.
- A minimum of 3 years experience in the software industry.
- Excellent academic qualifications and communication skills, written and verbal.
- Good knowledge of OOP principles
- Eligible to live and work in the UK.
In return, we will offer you:
- A great salary plus 10% bonus
- Bupa private medical insurance
- 5% matched company pension contribution
- Flexible working options - alternate hours, reduced / condensed hours
- £3500 personal hardware budget
- Personal development and training plans
- Access to our mentorship programme
- Regular social events - virtual gaming nights, quizzes, virtual escape rooms and social gatherings
- An annual Christmas weekend away for employees and their partners
Reference ID: PHPD2021
Application deadline: 14/09/2021
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Company pension
- Flexible schedule
- Private medical insurance
- Work from home
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday