£60,500 - £65,308
UK Security Vetting
Type of role
Flexible working, Full-time, Job share, Part-time
Number of posts
About the job
This is an exciting and rewarding role leading our Strategy function, developing the future direction of UKSV and ensuring that we fully execute our vision and strategic plans.
The Government Security Group (GSG) is transforming the government’s approach to protective security to ensure it is fit to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. UK Security Vetting (UKSV) is an operational delivery organisation within GSG. Our mission is to enable a secure and diverse workforce across both the public and private sector in support of the UK government.
UKSV launched in January 2017 following the requirement in the 2015 Strategic Defence and Security Review to establish a single provider of government National Security Vetting services. UKSV has a mandate to establish a single vetting database, portable vetting and standardised pricing across government. UKSV aims to operate as a highly efficient and customer focused organisation. Vetting is a key service of government security, and provides assurance of individuals working in sensitive roles. Every year around 200k clearances are processed or renewed.
This is a high profile and stretching role that requires the postholder to work with and influence senior leaders across government to ensure a coordinated view of UKSV’s priorities and portfolio to drive our strategic plans and outputs. You will lead the UKSV Strategy function, responsible for strategy development and focus via staff objectives. You will realise the strategy through the delivery of high-quality corporate services including finance, continuous improvement and management information to enable the smooth running of the organisation.
You will work closely with the UKSV CEO and Directors in ensuring that UKSV meets its objectives with responsibility for the central coordination, monitoring and reporting of UKSV’s full portfolio of activities and associated KPIs through a balanced corporate scorecard. You will lead all financial and budgetary planning across UKSV, coordinating the production of detailed annual budget bids and supporting business case requirements for future investment projects. You will lead the continuous improvement team, ensuring a six sigma approach to process improvement and issue identification and resolution in rapid timescales.
The key responsibilities of Head of Strategy will include:
- Turn strategic intent into a deliverable work plan; owning the compilation and production of corporate plans, the Comprehensive Spending review, annual reports and accounts and monthly Management information (MI);
- Directing the MI team to identify issues and hotspots in UKSV’s performance;
- Leading the continuous improvement team to re-engineer and improve UKSV processes at pace;
- To develop any future change mandate and produce requisite business plans and business cases as and when required;
- Command the organisation in directorate and service level planning, supporting senior managers to develop supporting strategies and plans aligned to organisational goals and principles, ensuring individual staff objectives match business levels goals;
- Engaging with a broad range of stakeholders to ensure that steps are in place to deliver on our strategy, including strategic roadmap and delivery mandates;
- Clearly articulating strategic vision and working with colleagues to ensure that plans are effectively communicated to all stakeholders to secure their engagement;
- Working with all stakeholders to identify and address any potential barriers to transformation and strategic delivery;
- Collaborating with the corporate insight and other teams to develop and track against high-level strategic outcomes;
- Tracking changes in the external environment to continuously identify new and emerging delivery threats and opportunities and maintain a set of strategic assumptions;
- Liasing with Other Government Departments and other external bodies to ensure alignment through strategic level discussion;
- Playing an active role in governance bodies, advising on strategic fit of initiatives for investment, and providing input to Spending Review and corporate level business cases;
- As a key member of the UKSV ExCo team, role modelling exemplar behaviours and living the UKSV values and charter.
As a Head of Strategy within UK Security Vetting, we are looking for people who have the following expertise and attributes:
- Ability to work with a considerable degree of autonomy, providing inspiring leadership and direction to enable you and your team to deliver results and respond creatively to tough challenges with quality and pace.
- A keen intellect to analyse complex problems and support and facilitate the development of partnerships that can develop and deliver shared solutions to address them successfully.
- Experience of leading a strategic or planning function in a complex, fast-paced, environment.
- Involvement of engaging, advising and influencing at all levels of an organisation. An effective and engaging communicator, working with senior stakeholders.
- A strategic thought leader who will bring analytical rigour coupled with pragmatic problem solving in addressing complex situations to deliver on customer needs and requirements. High capacity to drive innovative approaches and ability to draw on and challenge best practice.
- An effective troubleshooter, able to quickly determine root cause of issues and resolve them.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Seeing the Big Picture
Communicating and Influencing
Making Effective Decisions
- Learning and development tailored to your role.
- An environment with flexible working options.
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity.
- A Civil Service pension.
- A minimum of 25 days of paid annual leave, increasing by one day per year up to a maximum of 30.