QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
As Principal Engineer you will lead, plan and structure your team’s work, engage with relevant customers and stakeholders and report to the Project Manager on progress to ensure the requirements of work packages are delivered in the allocated timescales. The post holder will lead, or provide advice, on the design and development of communication systems across the communications spectrum.
Specific responsibilities are likely to include:
- Engagement with customers and stakeholders to derive a programme scope and identifying key areas of technical activity for reducing programme risk.
- Assessing and integrating ideas and advice from other subject matter experts to provide balanced, independent and robust recommendations.
- Collaborating with other areas of QinetiQ to identify and drive forward opportunities in the area of communications.
- Provide consultancy advice to relevant customers and stakeholders undertaking design and test activities to ensure that requirements are met.
- Undertake technical studies and coherent programmes of work to enable industry to define, de-risk and explore technical solutions and options.
- Conducting technical evaluations of industry proposals.
- Plan your team’s work and report to Project Manager on progress.
- Lead technical reviews.
- Travel to military and vendor sites within the UK and potentially overseas.
The ideal candidate is a chartered engineer holding an engineering or science degree, with more than ten years' experience of communications systems and architectures. System knowledge should include High Frequency, Very Low Frequency, Line of Site, Beyond Line of Site, and management systems. Existing Technical knowledge of military systems and current maritime communications bearers is highly desirable.
The candidate will have leadership, analytical and communication skills, with the ability to communicate concisely in written and verbal form at both an engineering level and with both senior management and their own team