If you are interested in working on some of the UK’s leading Defence Technical Projects and Programmes, supporting our armed forces in current and future operations, this could be the ideal career for you.
The DE&S Air Engineering Function is looking for a talented engineer to join their team as a Lightning In-Service Support Engineer within the Lightning Delivery Team at RAF Marham. The Lightning Delivery Team is responsible for procuring and supporting the UK's growing fleet of F-35B multi-role, combat aircraft. The team is comprised of specialist engineers, logisticians, commercial officers and project-mangers who work in collaboration with International partners and Industry to develop and sustain the UK’s Lightning fleet as an advanced ‘5th generation’ capability for UK Defence.
The role will be within DE&S’s Lightning In-Service Support Cell (LISSC), which acts as the Lightning Delivery Team’s principle point of contact for operating units and associated support organisations on in-service engineering matters. You will be the initial point of contact for the Lightning Force and external agencies to contact the Delivery Team, including frontline units operating at Marham and Edwards AFB (US).
The role will require you to be responsible for taking technical queries, assessing them, triaging them and reacting accordingly. You must ensure that all responses are in line with lightning programmes/procedures & timelines.
To be successful you must have:
- Management and initial assessment of technical queries received from the UK’s Lightning operating units
- The initiation of DE&S responses to technical occurrences, though proactive liaison with our team of Engineering SMEs, Industry representatives, or Design Organisations.
- The collation of necessary information and approvals to satisfy technical queries in a timely manner to support the continued readiness and availability of the UK’s Lightning aircraft.
- Working with colleagues across a broad international technical programme to communicate matters of a technical basis and to ensure appropriate prioritisation of UK requirements or technical queries.
- Assessment of systems and technical data supplied by industry partners or programme representatives to ensure efficient and effective responses are provided in support of frontline operating units.
- The development and management of local policy and procedures.
- The provision of technical briefings on high priority technical queries to Engineering staff and Senior management across the UK’s Lightning enterprise.
- Make Airworthiness decisions and be capable of holding a Letter of Airworthiness Authority (LOAA)
- Working effectively within the Lightning Delivery Team’s LISSC engineering team and reporting to the section’s Lead Engineer.
- Being based at RAF Marham, with the ability to travel to the south-west or overseas for training or to support Lightning Delivery Teams requirements.
It will be beneficial to have:
- Relevant Level 4 qualification in an Engineering discipline, or equivalent experience.
- Substantial engineering experience of the Air industry
- Substantial Aircraft systems knowledge
- Knowledge and experience of UK military maintenance, assurance and operating practices
- Confident and capable verbal and written communication skills
- IT competence
- F-35 systems knowledge
- F-35 maintenance and operating experience
- ALIS operating system knowledge and experience
- Knowledge and experience of integrated logistics operating practices or experience of providing support to Front line aviation units
- Experience in UK airworthiness management and documentation production/control
- Integrated Logistics Experience
Please note that you may be considered for similar positions at the level below the advertised role.
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with plenty of opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here or by using 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' booklet PDF at the bottom of this page.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service on or after 5 October 2018 may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About DE&S/SDA and your team
The force behind the armed forces, DE&S is a highly specialised, branch of the MoD, operating with a budget of £178 billion over the next 10 years. From the procurement of aircraft carriers to the provision of food, we ensure our armed forces have the equipment and support they need to achieve their operations. We employ over 12,000 people across more than 150 locations around the world.
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.
- Learning and development tailored to your role
- An environment with flexible working options
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- A Civil Service pension
Please find 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' attached or click here
This post is not eligible for relocation allowances.