£35,310 - £44,032
Senior Executive Officer
DWP - Digital
Type of role
Flexible working, Full-time, Job share, Part-time
Number of posts
Blackpool, Manchester, Newcastle-upon-Tyne
About the job
Technology Services provide the foundations upon which digital services for DWP are developed and operate. Our purpose is to deliver secure, effective and cost-efficient digital infrastructure services and to run live IT operations that support DWP business objectives. We do this by putting users and quality of service at the heart of what we do.
Our team is made up of 1,500 colleagues working collaboratively across 10 portfolio-led teams in a fast-moving environment. Our teams deliver an end-to-end suite of digital products and services that support DWP colleagues and citizens in an ever-evolving technology landscape. Our work is focused around the following 6 themes:
1. Delivering a digital workplace that improves the way we work. We provide the products and services to make our users' jobs easier, encourage greater collaboration and support flexibility in working patterns, locations and on devices of their choice –helping to drive forward DWP’s digital transformation.
2. Delivering high-quality and resilient IT services and support. We are embedding a Full Stack Service Model to integrate our IT operations and ensure our services meet existing and future network demand.
3. Building a world-class performance-focused user experience control centre. We have created an end-to-end, data-driven performance environment to measure our systems and ensure we keep the department functioning.
4. Exploiting and enhancing hybrid cloud services. We provide hybrid cloud services that balance on-premise and public cloud to offer true platform independence and optimum price performance.
5. Protecting and securing our services. We ensure our IT systems remain secure and available, resilient to natural and human-caused disaster – ensuring citizens always have access to our key services.
6. Developing our people, capability and skills. We have created a sustainable service by developing our people, bringing key skills in-house to DWP, giving teams professional pathways to develop and opportunities to progress.
As we continue our journey to service excellence we have identified a number of opportunities to join our team.
DWP Digital Virtual Recruitment Fair - September 30th 6pm to 8pm
Join Technology Service colleagues in the #DigiLounge platform where they’ll host their first virtual recruitment event.
The #DigiLounge is a virtual space where you can meet and chat with the teams behind our essential user-facing services, products and platforms, who design, deliver and operate infrastructure underpinning policy, support and security to DWP systems, services and users.
So if you’re looking for an exciting new career sign up today.
The role of the Infrastructure Engineer is to support and maintain services and system health and reliability as directed by departmental policy.
Working in a motivated team of Infrastructure Specialists (Database Administrators) and Engineers making sure services are delivered into production using agile methodology, supported with robust delivery practices.
The Infrastructure Engineering team works with and supports third parties to ensure that the software is patched and kept at stable and secure versions.
The DBAs will also help to provide support for application updating when required, including running of scripts, testing, backups and other forms of performance improvements that may be necessary to keep the service in good order.
As an Infrastructure Engineer (SEO) you will deal with the day to day management and development of infrastructure products and contribute towards their design.
As a SQL Server Database Administrator (Infrastructure Engineer), you will be working as part of an expert team looking after a diverse hybrid environment exceeding 150 instances, spread across OPH (implementing, configuring and supporting SQL server 2000 to 2019), but also including Azure and AWS PaaS and DBaaS offerings.
The role will require you to identify issues before they occur, to diagnose, patch and fix issues when they do occur and be responsible for backup and recovery strategies all within SLA timescales.
You will be responsible for implementing and administrating High Availability solutions including RAC and Dataguard.
You will have a good working knowledge of database security, including encryption at rest and encryption in transit.
Performance tuning (index and query tuning) are required for the role.
You will be responsible for the operational stability of the infrastructure solutions, and be in a position to affect change in the on-going robustness and resilience of those products.
You will collaborate with seniors and own Infrastructure Development Lifecycle Process as part of a delivery team focused on one or more products.
The role will require you to be interested and upskill in the Cloud (with Azure and AWS PaaS and DBaaS offerings). Having TSQL and PowerShell Scripting experience will also be desirable to be successful in the role.
You will be familiar with or have had exposure to SSIS, SSRS and SSAS along with a good working knowledge of ITIL.
In terms of supporting the team, as we work in a 24/7 environment you will be required to join the Oracle on-call rota or provide support changes such as upgrades and patching out of hours.
The security clearance required for this role is SC, checks will be carried out prior to appointment.
Your responsibilities will include but are not restricted to, the following:
Infrastructure Delivery & Improvement
- Design and implement infrastructure services/solutions to meet strategic plans and roadmaps.
- Deal with and take decisions on day-to-day operational management of services/solutions relating to own work area and to those they manage.
- Provide specialist technical support and assistance to projects ensuring definition and delivery of requisite non-functional requirements to architectural and roadmap developments.
- Management of an operational area, a function, or a project team, act independently on day-to-day issues.
- 3rd Line support for incidents, problems and changes.
- Apply different techniques to methods in analysing and resolving problems, working up new practices and procedures or modify existing processes which will aid with service improvements.
- Providing technical support and assistance.
- Database performance tuning, including best practices, indexing and statistics.
- Patching SQL server products to help maintain policy of n-1 patchset to keep service stable and secure.
- Help with the maintenance of the SQL server monitoring solution SolarWinds, which will provide the alerting of the estate to issues.
- Provide reports of Service performance to the Senior Infrastructure Engineer and other senior leadership members from Digital, reporting against agreed KPIs and via the relevant reporting channels and forums.
- Management of the risk register for individual technical area, ensuring appropriate reporting and mitigation plans and actions are implemented.
- Define and create bespoke reporting from the SolarWinds monitoring solution to gather detailed information about the estate, based on project requirements.
Strategic & Financial Management
- Authority to commit the organisation to expenditure with third party suppliers and the requirement to achieve best value for money.
- Managing and committing specified sums of money over a period of time.
- Responsible for preparation of budget requests, project plans, business cases for large items of expenditure.
- Help to ensure that the services are running as efficiently as possible to drive down cost in licencing where applicable.
The ideal candidate for this role will be able to demonstrate the following essential criteria:
- SQL Server Database Administration.
- Data Platform - Design and Build.
- Database HA – Knowledge of SQL Server Always On Availability Groups.
- Live Service Management - Understanding of the importance of running a business critical production environment.
The security clearance required for this role is SC, checks will be carried out prior to appointment.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Changing and Improving
Managing a Quality Service
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
SQL Server Data Platforms
Design and Build
- Learning and development tailored to your role.
- An environment with flexible working options.
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity.
- An employer pension contribution of up to 27%.
- A generous annual leave allowance.
Salary for this role is from £35,310 (Band min) to £40,666 (Band max).
Where the maximum salary of £40,666 is offered, a Digital Allowance of up to £3,366 per annum is available for exceptional candidates, based on our assessment of your skills and experience.
Our offer to successful candidates will be based on an assessment of your skills and experience as demonstrated at interview.
Existing Civil Servants who secure a new role on lateral transfer should maintain their current salary.
Existing Civil Servants who gain promotion may move to the bottom of the next grade pay scale or 10% increase in salary whichever would be the greater.
This role can be based out of either Blackpool, Newcastle or Manchester corporate hub locations.
This job role may be suitable for hybrid working, which is where an employee works part of the week in their DWP office and part of the week from home. This is a voluntary, non-contractual arrangement and your office will be your contractual place of work. The number of days that anyone will be able to work at home will be determined primarily by business need but personal circumstances and other relevant circumstances will also be taken into account. If you are successful, any opportunities for hybrid working, including whether a hybrid working arrangement is suitable for you, will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post.
Please be aware that this role can only be worked in the UK and not overseas.