Based in Lancaster, UK
Line Manager Senior Project Engineer
NanoSUN is a fast-growing start-up company that provides hydrogen fuelling equipment and green hydrogen
fuel to the fuel cell industry. The company has built and sold small scale prototype equipment for hydrogen
refuelling to multiple customers and segments. It has secured funding to commercialise small scale refuellers
and develop a range of mobile hydrogen refuelling stations for trucks, buses & cars. Recently, NanoSUN
completed its first large-scale refueller prototype and received €2.5 million in European Innovation Council
funding to support development of this system, and subsequent field-trials. NanoSUN is an expanding
company, with the current team made up of highly experienced industry experts coupled with graduate, PhD
and post-doctoral engineers and scientists.
About the Role
The Project Engineer is responsible for working within a deployed team working on a specific project,
product, or service. Within the workstreams they are deployed into, they act as the main point of technical
and project management integration and must have an understanding of the overall route to customer
delivery, ultimately being responsible for contributing to the technical work required at all stages.
The Project Engineer has a critical role to play in managing the inputs from across the whole engineering
function through the entire lifecycle of a product. This involvement runs right from generation of
requirements and concepts, through to completion of risk analysis and hazard reviews and on to
understanding system operation, and ultimately the decommissioning processes.
A good Project Engineer is a “systems thinker”; they can visualize how the different physical and process
components come together to deliver a world-class product.
In some circumstances, the Project Engineer may also have responsibility for managing the day-to-day
tasking of a small group of engineers. The Project Engineer must collaborate with all engineering
disciplines, and other functions within the business, in order to efficiently deliver great results.
The Project Engineer is a technical role, requiring good understanding of core engineering disciplines.
Whilst there is no requirement for an engineering background specific to chemical or process engineering,
this may be of benefit to the applicant. Experience in project management is also preferable in order to
enable effective delivery against project milestones, however training can be provided in-house.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Working within NanoSUN’s design process framework, contribute to teams working on the launch
of new projects, products, and services.
- Completing the engineering activity required to launch these programs of work, select appropriate
concepts, and develop detailed designs.
- Collaborating with the Mechanical and Electrical and Controls design engineers to complete
detailed design work on specific products.
- Working alongside the Development and Verification engineering
team to execute the Validation and Verification plan for the relevant product or project.
- Generating key product documentation and recording relevant design data as required by internal
processes and Third-Party Type Approval.
- Communicating with the internal Manufacturing Engineering team, as well as third party vendors
and manufacturing partners to manage development, assembly and commissioning of NanoSUN
- Acting as a delegate for the Senior Project Engineer in constructing and managing project plans.
- Presenting product attributes and capabilities to customers.
- Minimum of BEng in a relevant Engineering Discipline.
- A minimum of 2 years relevant industrial experience is preferred.
- A clear focus on CPD and on a pathway to Engineering Chartership with a UK Institution
- Relevant and successful experience of working within small teams.
- Independent approach to assigned work, good at working in highly dynamic environments, where
requirements, processes and regulatory frameworks are subject to regular change.
- Strong analytical and numeracy skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills with high attention to detail.
- A strong grasp of engineering and design principles, including in Process and Engineering Design
fundamentals, particularly process safety (LOPA, FMEA, HAZOP, HAZAN, SRS, SIL)
- A sound knowledge of computer aided design (CAD) software, technical drawings and 3D modelling.
However, the Project Engineer does not need to be an experienced practitioner.
- In some circumstances, being able to generate simple 2D drawings may be helpful – e.g.,
Process and Instrumentation Diagrams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- An understanding of manufacturing processes and construction methods
- Ability to plan and organise through several project stages
- An appreciation of wider business demands
- An awareness of the environmental impact of design ideas
What we Offer
- Salary: £30,000
- Pension Scheme
- 27.5 holiday plus bank holidays
- Flexible working
- Free on-site parking
- Opportunities for professional development
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discounted staff membership to onsite gym
How to Apply
To apply please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org stating the job title in the subject line.
- A full CV
- Current remuneration details
- Confirmation of your eligibility to work in the UK
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications for all suitably qualified persons
regardless of their race, sex, disability religion/belief, sexual orientation, or age.