Your new role
Here at Highways England, our Engineers work with a sense of pride as they get to see their hard work benefiting our customers every day out on the network. We currently have a brand new opportunity for an experienced engineer to join the North West Improvements Team based at one of our offices in Warrington, Preston or Penrith.
The successful candidate will analyse identified issues on the strategic road network and develop engineering solutions that can be delivered through our Designated Funds Programme. You will be supporting senior members of the team to develop improvement schemes that ensure the Strategic Road Network safely meets the requirements of our customers now and in the future.
You will be required to drive as part of your role and you will need to have a full clean driving licence to be considered for this position
What you’ll be leading on
- Analysis of identified network needs and development of engineering scheme options for our safety, congestion, cycling and integration improvements programme in line with agreed methodologies and prioritisation criteria.
- Developing early solutions for improvements, including the compiling and checking of relevant documents, evidence and options for value management, taking into account new techniques, materials, buildability, and costs.
- Developing technical briefs to be provided to the design contractors for improvement schemes.
- Ensuring the health and safety needs and wellbeing of customers and employees are fully considered and accounted for throughout the planning and delivery of each service activity.
To be successful
- Ideally be an Incorporated Engineer with a relevant Degree or HND and experience in traffic engineering, transport planning or highway design
- Knowledge of accident investigation and prevention techniques
- Understanding of traffic modelling principles and applications
- Experience of highway design and the application of appropriate design standards
- Experience in AutoCAD or Civil 3D
- Experience of working within budgets and delivering to timescales
A bit about us
Making sure our customers have safe and reliable journeys is at the heart of everything we do in Operations. We keep the roads open for business and play a key role in making sure the network we manage is fit for purpose today and for the future.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible