What you will do
We are looking for a Design Engineer for our Heating, Ventilation, Air conditioning (HVAC) team who are part of the Building Technologies and Solutions business. Every substantial facility needs efficient, reliable climate control. Johnson Controls offers the largest portfolio of HVAC equipment and controls in the world. You can find our solutions at work in offices and factories, in warehouses and stores, in campuses and hospitals, in apartment buildings and hotels.
We are looking for an experienced designer who can help the development of HVAC scope around specification and design of chilled water and cooling systems. This role is part of a small but growing team developing HVAC design solutions.
You will support two phases of works. One is the sales phase around the development of plant sizing, design of primary and supporting plant including pump sizing, pipe and valve sizing plus pipe and pumping layouts. Two is the Installation work which involves the finalisation of the design, scope & specification of works and solution cost book to hand over to our execution team.
How you will do it
As a member of the Projects and Design you will be responsible for enquiry specifications, drawings and associated documents to determine the exact scope required. You will act as a subject matter expert during the pre-bid process providing support with equipment selection, project estimating and production of quotations and tender packages, all in collaboration with field sales department.
Other key responsibilities will include:
- Full design and costing of HVAC solutions in line with customer expectations and tender specifications
- Calculation and evaluation of cooling load or air volume requirements and associated primary and supporting plant selection
- Development of supporting drawing/diagrams relevant to solution requirements
- Associated control system functional description
- Associated lift and shift requirements along with practical risk and installation assessments
On occasion you will be asked to attend on site reviews with suppliers & contractors. Travel will be expected in the role and you will support the UK & Ireland sales team with your technical expertise around HVAC design.
What we look for
- Proven experience of design and estimating within a HVAC environment
- Working knowledge of mainstream HVAC systems and networks
- Experience in HVAC solutions, primarily chilled water and cooling systems
- Good understanding of Engineer Drawings (Mechanical and Electrical)
- Ability to manage and influence both internal & external stakeholders at all levels
- Excellency in verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate technical information to a non-technical audience