Advert Sage is a global company with a local heart. The market leader for cloud-based accounting, financials, enterprise management, people, and payroll software, we empower the world’s business heroes—from single-person startups to large enterprises. Our people are passionate and positive. We inspire our colleagues to serve business builders everywhere and champion their success. As a FTSE 100 company with 14,000 colleagues across 24 countries, we do business the right way, while giving back to our local communities through the Sage Foundation. Sage is passionate about building a culture where our colleagues feel they can bring their whole selves to work. Where people know they’ll be judged on their performance and behaviours - not their identity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on their race, color, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Job Description Reporting to the Development Team Manager, the Developer is responsible for building, enhancing and maintaining applications and/or systems, in the area of responsibility, to enable Sage’s business plans and long-term objectives using the identified architecture.
The Developer will design, develop and deliver high quality applications and/or systems and services that exceed customers’ or business partners’ expectations and will proactively share their own knowledge for specific technical solutions and business processes in their area of responsibility.
Key Responsibilities Key accountabilities and decision ownership: (8 or 10 max)
- Develop, deliver and implement high quality technical solutions
- Maintain business applications through established processes – Identify opportunity for improvement for customers’ and colleagues’ benefit
- Run through all phases of the project lifecycle independently or part of a team
- Define and document technical requirements for data, workflow, logical processes, hardware and operating system environment, interfaces with other systems and/or services, internal and external checks and controls, and outputs.
- Maintain relevant documentation to describe logic, coding/configuration, testing and changes where applicable.
- Continuously strive to make improvements to the existing applications and/or systems, services and processes.
- Seek out and act upon feedback.
- Assist in educating others within IT where required.
- Ensure all development is completed to the required quality standards and provide benefit to Sage and its customers
- Keep up to date with relevant technology areas. Skills, know-how and experience:
- Ability to interpret and/or gather user requirements and translate these into technical specifications and/or code
- Excellent logical thinking with good problem-solving skills
- Good knowledge of the principles of database design including modelling logical and physical data schemas where appropriate
- Proficient with one or more relevant programming languages, frameworks and databases
- Good understanding in business processes
- Trouble shooting and/or problem-solving skills
- Be an active and enthusiastic team player
- Share responsibility for planning and delivering team activities
- Be willing to adapt to significant changes in either technology or environment
- Be interested in self-development including the maintenance of personal technical competence in all relevant areas
- Effective communicator and influencer with good relationship management skills
Technical / professional qualifications:
- Relevant knowledge and development experience with appropriate technologies in the area of responsibility
- Experience with multi-tiered application design and major relational databases where relevant
- Experience of unit and integration testing techniques
- Exposure to software development lifecycles and development methodologies
Key performance indicators:
- Degree holder (desirable) and/or relevant professional qualification and/or relevant work experience in related discipline that demonstrates a proven aptitude for software development
- Complete assigned development tasks to agreed level of quality and by the required deadline.
- Design, develop, deliver and maintain coding and/or reporting solutions.
- Ensure adherence to best practice and processes. Focus on sound development concepts and patterns such as object/service orientated architecture, refactoring and separation of concerns.
- Provide accurate, detailed and timely estimates and track own activities against plan
- Contribute to existing knowledgebase for key applications and/or systems incorporating data and/or reporting where applicable.
- Provide 3rd tier support and/or expertise for the area of responsibility (where appropriate)
- Actively contribute to retrospectives/debriefs in areas of responsibility to develop the teams’ abilities.
- Development Team Leader and/or Senior and Principal Developers – for direction and escalation
- Architecture, Security & Design team - to ensure that it is possible to implement the proposed designs, standards and quality
- Testers - to ensure deliverables have been fully understood and tested.
- Service Management/Customer Services - to provide technical support, as required, to assist with the prompt resolution of issues