£36,838 - £42,519
Senior Executive Officer
ONS - Digital and Technology
Type of role
Flexible working, Full-time, Homeworking, Job share, Part-time, Compressed Hours
Number of posts
Newport, Fareham, Homeworking
About the job
Do you have a real passion for user experience, employee enablement and continuous improvement?
Are you innovative with the energy and motivation to lead exciting technical and cultural change?
Would you thrive in an open, autonomous and user-centred environment?
If so, this could be the role for you.
We are committed to supporting our people’s wellbeing by offering flexible ways of working that support a healthy work life balance. We are happy to explore opportunities with you about working flexibly in line with our policies. We are also offering a home working contract for this role.
In this role, as an IT Service Manager, you will be experienced in leading and managing a team to deliver high profile services within the ONS. You will be responsible for continuous service improvement, skilling and support of the services aligned to your area including managing key internal stakeholders and supplier engagement to ensure the optimum service is delivered.
Working closely with your team and other service managers you will be empowered to be creative whilst delivering high quality service and deliverables where stakeholder management is key. You will need to be both innovative and have the passion to lead these changes from the front.
Our team culture is based around agile working and keeping our users-both internally and externally- at the centre of our thinking. You will be a proven agile expert, ensuring agile practices are embedded in our culture and will have experience in managing a highly capable digitally skilled workforce.
This is a role with real impact, where you will be able to shape how we do things going forward and build your own experience with industry leading tools and technologies which will transform how our
We offer you a flexible working environment, encouraging a sensible work life balance as well world class training and development and a thriving community of practice of fellow Software Engineers. You will also have opportunities for career progression and protected learning time to develop your skills and side projects.
As a service manager you will:
- Lead and manage a multi-skilled team deployed across various projects and activities.
- Bring into service, operating, supporting, performance monitoring, continually improving and decommissioning Infrastructure services, products and platforms to serve a variety of user needs.
- For the services, products and platforms supported:
- Manage incidents, requests, changes and problems -Drive continuous improvement activities
- Active participation in wider communities of practice, identifying and sharing best practice.
- Share knowledge of tools and techniques, collaborating to improve team capability.
- Maintain consistency between development and production environments.
- Challenge existing processes to build agile and flexible platforms, services and products.
- Strong people management skills with proven experience of managing multi-skilled teams effectively including mentoring and coaching others.
- A broad technical understanding with the ability to apply this to the wider technical landscape
- Able to identify risks and mitigating any impact on wider organisation
- An analytical approach to problem solving, with excellent attention to detail
- A real drive and passion for excellent user experience, employee enablement and continuous improvement
- Developing and implementing policies, processes and procedures
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Communicating and Influencing
Seeing the Big Picture
The Office for National Statistics is part of the Civil Service, and as such we share a number of key benefits with other departments, whilst also having our own unique offerings to support our 5000+ valued employees across the business.
Whether you are hearing about us for the first time or already know a bit about our organisation, we hope that the benefits pack attached (bottom of page) will give you a great insight into the benefits and facilities available to our employees, and our fantastic working culture.
We are an organisation that takes the well-being of its employees seriously and lives and breathes the desire to modernise the workplace of the future. Everyone, from our office-based staff in Newport, London and Titchfield, to our field interviewers and airports and ports passenger survey staff, are part of a diverse and inclusive family.
Inclusion & Accessibility
At ONS we're always looking to attract the very best people from the widest possible talent pool, and we are proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunities employer. As a member of the Business Disability Forum and a Disability Confident Leader we’re committed to ensuring that all candidates are treated fairly throughout the recruitment process.
As part of our application process, you will be prompted to provide details of any reasonable adjustments to our recruitment process that you need. If you would like to discuss any reasonable adjustments before applying, please contact the recruitment team in the first instance.
If you would like an accessible version of any of the attachments or recruitment documents below or linked to in this advert, please contact the recruitment team who will be happy to assist.