This is an Engineering Industrial Placement position for a student studying towards a Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Networks or other STEM related degree. You should have successfully completed the first and second years of your degree and be working towards a minimum 2:1 degree classification. Our 2021 Industrial Placement roles will be for 10 months fixed term contract from 4th October 2021 to 29th July 2022. The role will be based in Maidenhead, UK but with remote working and office attendance as necessary.
Find out more about us here:
Can you help to improve global supply chain logistics? Are you excited to work on a platform that handles millions of people booking and tracking shipments around the globe? In this role, you will have long-term ownership of one or more applications covering build, test, transition, and operation for Maersk's customer-facing systems.
Do you want to be supported in your development as a software engineer? You will work alongside other developers learning from them and from the wider Maersk technology teams around the world. We pride ourselves on our brands and identity that builds on our heritage. This role is an opportunity to be part of Maersk's digital evolution.
Together, your skills will be applied to applications built in modern SPAs built in VueJS, backed by micro-service APIs.
The role will involve:
- Hands-on implementation of client-side code
- Practicing effective agile software development; participating in pair programming, regular communication and supporting a culture of end-to-end ownership
- Following software standards to ensure quality throughout the development lifecycle
- Build new capability across the team toolset, including writing tests and reviewing code for other team members.
- Taking part in sprint planning, backlog refinement and task estimation
- Responsible for the quality and implementation (supportable, maintainable, scalable, performant, secure) of your own work
- Participation in the elaboration of user stories (technical and functional). Agree stories are sufficiently described for their implementation, verification, and delivery.
- Working collaboratively; pairing on tasks, peer review of team members’ code and constructive feedback for improvement in both the code base and team capability (blame-free feedback)
- Keeping builds green by writing testable code
- Collaborative participation in retrospectives to make continual improvements within your team
- Technical support during release activities
We are looking for
- You will need to demonstrate a real interest and passion for technology and be studying towards a Computer Science or STEM related degree.
- Ability to manage your own task progress and communicate issues to product management and testers
- Good critical reasoning and analytical skills; takes ownership and sticks to the problem until it is solved
- A can-do attitude and being comfortable with tight delivery deadlines and managing priorities
- Customer-focused, whether responding to support queries or developing new features and functionality
- Ability to work independently and with others in a team environment
- Solid written and verbal communication skills. Able to articulate technical issues to peers
- The resilience to learn and adapt quickly in a dynamic environment
- Experience of web user interface development. Providing links to any of your open source projects is a bonus
Nice to have
- Working with and contributing to open-source projects
- Some hands-on experience of using a front-end development framework, such as Angular, VueJS or React. Our preference is VueJS, but experience in any of them is a plus.
- The ability to write front-end code to be cross-browser and cross-device friendly through responsive or adaptive techniques
- Experience developing UIs for multi-lingual websites
- Experience using Continuous Integration (CI) / Continuous Delivery (CD) systems for deployment
- Knowledge of Test-Driven Development (TDD)
- Salary of £23,000 per annum
- Sign on bonus of £1,000