Application closing date
Grade M £47,317 - £51,371 a year
Buildings & Maintenance
Communities & Place
37 hours a week
The Council House
The Property, Projects and Technical Services team want to recruit an experienced Minor Works and Maintenance Manager:
We are a team of Building Surveyors, Mechanical and Electrical Engineers and Project Managers and we look after a property portfolio of over 100 council owned buildings.
If you're looking to step up your career, this is the perfect opportunity to have a chance to work with successful leaders in their field and put that expertise into action on landmark projects. You'll also make long-lasting professional connections through sharing different perspectives, and you'll be inspired by the best. We're focused on opportunity and want to help you make the most of yours. Achieve your ambitions - join us at Derby City Council!
We are looking for an experienced manager to plan, control and direct the delivery of approved minor building projects, planned maintenance, servicing of plant and equipment and day to day repairs. To providing a comprehensive building maintenance and minor projects delivery service for all Council owned and similar 3rd party customers' buildings and land.
The Maintenance and Minor Works Manager will be accountable for all delivery resources including the in-house and external teams of building surveyors, services engineers, maintenance surveyors and project managers.
The successful candidate will thrive in a dynamic environment with a continuous stream of work within the public sector, working with investor and internal clients on a varying and challenging portfolio of buildings. They must also be comfortable in a client-facing role, helping to develop the existing business by developing close bonds with both internal and external clients resulting in repeat business.
The ideal candidate will thrive on the responsibility and autonomy in managing a varied workload and be able to spot opportunities to help clients achieve their ambitions.
We would like to invite candidates with various experience in both professional and contract management services, dilapidations and refurbishment schemes. Exposure to the public sector would be an advantage.
What this job involves:
- Accountable for overall control and governance of the Councils building maintenance service and minor construction projects
- Managing the building maintenance service and allocated portfolio of minor building projects ensuring you carry out the following:-
1. programme planning
2. resource planning
3. budget planning
4. quality of service
5. value for money
- Ensure fee income targets are successfully forecast, monitored and recovered.
1. Co-ordinate and direct the procurement of building maintenance services and projects including:-
2. developing procurement strategies
3. preparing business cases and specifications
4. tender documentation
Sound like you? To apply you need to be/have:
- Lead and manage the selection, briefing, appointment and management of external consultants, also the use of internal staff as directed by the head of Service.
- Lead and manage the selection, briefing, appointment and management of external consultants when directed by Head of Service.
- Working at senior strategic level representing the Head of Service at times of service need or absences.
- Making sustainable business links with both external and internal clients and offering a professional and excellent client service at all times
- Managing relationships with clients, contractors, consultants and colleagues.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and confidence to communicate effectively at all levels both orally and in writing.
- Personable style with the necessary confidence and ambition to grow your career.
- Ability to proactively move towards achieving personal and business targets and to deliver them.
- Able to work in an organised and methodical manner, with a high level of attention to detail and to achieve strong report writing skills.
- Manage time effectively; prioritising tasks to ensure deadlines are met.
- Accept responsibility and, within parameters defined by the immediate performance manager, work on own initiative as required.
- A proactive approach to work, with strong team working ethos.
- Knowledge of MS Office would be essential. The ability to use NBS, and AutoCAD would be beneficial.
What you can expect from us
You'll join an inclusive culture. One where we succeed together - across the desk and around the globe. Where like-minded people work naturally together to achieve great things.
As a diverse and inclusive employer, Derby City Council strives to contribute to the lasting values for clients, employees, stakeholders, communities and the public sector.
You will have the opportunity to work with other experienced members of staff in your field of work as well as opportunity to work with other departments including Estates, Planning, Regeneration etc.
Please be aware that where there are staff within the organisation who are 'at risk' of redundancy, requirements to redeploy to another suitable role will apply and take priority
The closing date for this vacancy is Sunday 1st March 2020 at midnight. Any application forms received after the closing date will not be accepted.
Before you complete your application form please read our guidance on filling in your application form
Please see for Job Description here