As a Senior Developer, you will be responsible for leading the technical delivery of software development projects. Using your extensive expertise, you will act as a technical lead for a team of Software Developers and Apprentices, ensuring they follow internal standards, architecture guidance and agreed best practice.
You will work with solutions architects to design solutions that optimally deliver business benefits based on business requirements. Doing so will involve meeting and collaborating with multiple internal teams, stakeholders and suppliers.
You will be flexible and enjoy working with a range of technologies (legacy and current) on small, medium or large projects, using a traditional approach or Agile methodologies to deliver outcomes, often to challenging deadlines.
- Develop efficient code
- Contribute to the selection of technologies and tools
- Ensure that your team uses agreed best practice and meets internal coding standards
- Review Unit Tests
- Ensure code is peer-reviewed and regularly checked into our source control system
- Trouble-shoot software and work with Live Services to resolve issues
- Create and review documentation
- Assist solution architects and other colleagues with your technical expertise
- Communicate with customers and colleagues to ensure solutions are well understood and optimally coded to deliver on business requirements
- Coaching & mentoring peers and wider community
- Experience in leading a team of software developers
- Qualification or equivalent professional working experience as a software developer (both Web and WinForms) with C# .NET Core 2.1 and above OR .NET Framework 2.0, 3.5, 4.x
- Experience in Database Development with SQL Server
- Experience in working with Continuous Integration (CI) tools
- Flexible and open to working with any and all of these technologies as needed
- Experience in Software Development with VB6, VB.NET, VBA
- Experience in Database Development with Oracle
- Experience in Scala programming
- Experience in using Atlassian Suite (Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, Bamboo) or equivalent tools
- Experience of working in both traditional project structures and Agile
Applicants should note that the starting salary for those who are offered a position is the salary scale minimum (£37,503) for this grade.
Frequent travel to Worthing, West Sussex and other HMRC sites on an ad-hoc basis will be required as part of this role with overnight stays, to be defined by you in the role.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Managing a Quality Service
- Flexible work hours, season ticket loans, great holiday package
- Professional development and training programmes and opportunities for continued development
- A rare opportunity to impact millions of people’s lives through your work
- Being part of a supportive community - we are a diverse, cross-disciplinary team with varied backgrounds across the private, voluntary and public sectors
- Civil Service pension schemes may be available for successful candidates
If you are applying for a role in an office within a regional centre location or a transitional or
specialist site, then the following may apply:
Daily Travel Assistance will be available for this role,
provided the successful applicant is a current HMRC employee and meets the eligibility
requirements outlined in the department’s Daily Travel Assistance guidance.