About the Project
The Regional Delivery Partnership is a framework contract with Highways England for the development, design and construction of capital road projects that form part of the Regional Investment Programme during Road Period 1 (2015 to 2020) and Road Period 2 (2020 to 2025). The Costain Jacobs Partnership were awarded two lots; Lot 7 (East Region) & Lot 8 (North Region).
This vacancy relates to Lot 8 for the delivery of 3 schemes along the A1 corridor in Newcastle and Northumberland, with combined scheme budgets in excess of £550M.
A1Scotswood to North Brunton – Construction March 2020 – late 2022
A1 Birtley to Coal House – Construction March 2021 – late 2023
A1 in Northumberland – Construction March 2021 – late 2024
The current early works are being undertaken in Stockton and Leeds (with our designers Jacobs) but will move to the north east prior to construction. It is essential that applicants are willing to travel to and work in the north east.
About the Role
Costain helps to improve people’s lives by deploying technology-based engineering solutions to meet urgent national needs across the UK’s energy, water and transportation infrastructures.
The Regional Delivery Partnership is a framework contract with Highways England for the development, design and construction of capital road projects that form part of the Regional Investment Programme during Road Period 1 (2015 to 2020) and Road Period 2 (2020 to 2025).
There is a vacancy for a planning engineer on the A1 Birtley to Coal House Improvements scheme.
The scheme will be improving approximately four miles of the A1 between junctions 65 (Birtley) and 67 (Coal House). The existing road will be widened between the junctions to help manage traffic joining and leaving the A1:
- Northbound will increase the number of lanes from two to three.
- Southbound will increase the number of lanes from three to four.
- Junction 65, 66 and 67 will be modified to accommodate the additional lanes.
The scheme also requires the replacement of Allerdene railway bridge, which carries the A1 over the east coast mainline railway. The current bridge was built nearly 40 years ago and requires regular maintenance which can cause disruption to traffic.
What will I be doing?
Reporting to a Planning manager, will be accountable for the provision of expertise and systems for the planning, scheduling and project controls on the project using Primavera P6 planning software.
The role will be site based at the Blaydon Hub office with dynamic working available, subject to agreement with the Planning Manager.
- Undertake planning, programming and progress control as an integral member of the planning team, responsible for all aspects of project planning, programming and progress monitoring, including information flow, procurement, and site works.
- To liaise with clients, designers, subcontractors, suppliers and local authorities and undertakings on all matters relating to planning.
- Appraisal and co-ordination of all subcontractors’ programmes and feedback to them on changing main programme information.
- Manage the short-term planning and updating process.
- Assist the collaborative planning process for both weekly and monthly meetings.
- To prepare and present reports on programme and progress on all aspects of the project, and to attend and contribute to site meetings and other associated meetings.
- Update progress and production of variance reports as required including critical path and earned value analysis and mitigation proposals.
- Assist in the management of change in regards of impact on programmes and progress.
- To prepare comprehensive site layouts sequences and prepare presentations as necessary.
- Implementation of Company procedures.
- Working collaboratively and openly with the delivery team in the production and reporting of the programme and maintaining a good working relationship with them.
- Effective working with other planners to develop an integrated programme.
- Presentation and negotiations of programme entitlement for additional works where necessary
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
It is expected that you will work to be a part of the wider project team, living by the programmes expected values. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Costain closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we encourage candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and you do not have to provide a response.
- Experience of planning major highways schemes
- Excellent P6 skills including resourcing and cost loading
- Experience of working closely with Designers to ensure the timely delivery of information
- Experience of working within the same programme with multiple planning engineers
- Experience of using earned value analysis to monitor programme performance
- Ability to work consistently to deadlines
- Excellent monitoring and reporting skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Adapts well to a changing environment
- CSCS Academically Qualified Person or similar level
- Must be happy working in a team environment
- Role model for development of junior staff and demonstrates required behaviours to align to project and team objectives
- Champions and develops collaborative behaviours
- Sound understanding of Acumen Fuse with the ability to achieve scores that surpass the minimum requirements
- Advanced Excel user
- Experience in LEAN techniques
- A good understanding of highways construction processes
- A good understanding of highway related technology
- HNC or Degree in Civil Engineering
Costain helps to improve people’s lives with integrated, leading edge, smart infrastructure solutions across the UK’s energy, water, transportation and defence markets. We help our clients improve their business performance by increasing capacity, improving customer service, safeguarding security, enhancing resilience, decarbonising and delivering increased efficiency. Our vision is to be the UK’s leading smart infrastructure solutions company. We will achieve this by focusing on blue chip clients whose major spending plans are underpinned by strategic national needs, regulatory commitments, legislation or essential performance requirements. We offer our clients leading edge solutions that are digitally optimised through the following five services which cover the whole lifecycle of their assets: future-shaping strategic consultancy; consultancy and advisory; digital technology solutions; asset optimisation and complex programme delivery. Our culture and values underpin everything we do.
Should you require any adjustments to support you in your application, please do not hesitate to contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
We welcome all applicants regardless of age, race, faith, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, socioeconomic background and physical or neurological disabilities.
We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need for dynamic working. Such as, working part-time, remote working, or compressed hours. In return, we will explore what is possible.
To find out more about our Inclusion strategy, please visit our ED&I page:
Right to Work & Security Checks
Understandably given the nature of our business, everyone who is employed at Costain must undergo thorough referencing checks. We will need different information depending on the job we have offered you. For all roles, we'll carry out a criminal record check and we’ll ask to see evidence that you have the legal right to work in the UK.
For some of our roles, you may be required to obtain and maintain security clearance of at least Security Check level (or SC clearance). To satisfy the requirements, you will need to have been a legal UK resident for a minimum of 5 years and have successfully complete all stages of the vetting process.
Please note that Costain reserves the right to bring forward the closing date of any of its job vacancies if we receive a suitable number of quality applications from which to make a shortlist. Therefore, we recommend at you apply as soon as possible rather than wait until the published closing date.
A Disability Confident employer will generally offer an interview to any applicant that declares they have a disability and meets the minimum criteria for the job as defined by the employer. It is important to note that in certain recruitment situations such as high-volume, seasonal and high-peak times, the employer may wish to limit the overall numbers of interviews offered to both disabled people and non-disabled people.
For more details please go to the Disability Confident website: