We are looking for an experienced Senior Cost Engineer to work on our EDF Project Controls Framework at Heysham, Lancashire. The Senior Cost Engineer is responsible for leading a team that provides cost management support to the EDF Energy work portfolio. Together with their team they will monitor, control and forecast the costs during the Project lifecycle.
Costain supports EDF Energy Generation to maximise the lifespan of its eight UK nuclear power stations and prepare for defuelling and decommissioning. Costain's role is to provide project controls and commercial managed services to portfolios and programmes of work across EDF's UK nuclear power stations. As part of this work Costain will develop people capability in core project control skills and provide specialist support to EDF’s Central Technical Organisation to improve project performance and deliver cost efficiencies.
- Take ownership of the cost trackers
- Work with the Project Managers to ensure contracts and forecasts are effectively managed
- Control, monitor, analyse and report cost related aspects for designated projects
- Implement the correct and appropriate cost management tool for the project
- Assist in development and use of Project Control Structures (CBS, OBS, WBS etc.)
- Leading, mentoring and coaching a team of Cost Engineers
- Understand the basis of the estimate
- Ensure all cost and contract transactions on a project are understood and managed
- Ensure all variances to the cost baseline are communicated
- Ensure the necessary cost management interface is in place with Finance and ensure regular communications
- Active involvement in the change process, understanding the reasons for and factors influencing each change to the project’s cost baseline plus the implications of such change
- Continually monitor Project Risk and Change status to maintain current forecast
- Review and understand, with the assistance of the Planning Engineer, the schedule progress and it’s alignment to the Project Control Structure
- Liaise with Project team members and contractors with regards to progress and financial forecasting
- Update the Cost Tool to comply with Project Reporting Cycles.
- Challenge cost variances against the baseline plan
- Ensure integration with the project Planning Engineer to maintain an aligned financial position with the project plan
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Breadth of experience across whole project and programme lifecycle (e.g. Engineering, Procurement, Construction, Installation/Commissioning processes), preferably in a highly regulated environment
- High level of numeracy and excellent analytical skills
- The ability to reconcile cost information as it applies to the programmes of work
- Previous line management experience
- Proficient in the use of estimating, scheduling, programming and risk tools
- Proficient in the use of Earned Value Analysis
- Good attention to detail with good time management skills
- Relevant experience in Project Controls and/or Project Delivery, preferably in a highly regulated environment
- Evidence of strong engineering background, ideally within a safety/regulated environment
- Minimum of HNC/HND ideally in a cost related discipline or relevant experience
- MACostE desirable
Costain helps to improve people’s lives with integrated, leading edge, smart infrastructure solutions across the UK’s energy, water, transportation and defence markets. We help our clients improve their business performance by increasing capacity, improving customer service, safeguarding security, enhancing resilience, decarbonising and delivering increased efficiency. Our vision is to be the UK’s leading smart infrastructure solutions company. We will achieve this by focusing on blue chip clients whose major spending plans are underpinned by strategic national needs, regulatory commitments, legislation or essential performance requirements. We offer our clients leading edge solutions that are digitally optimised through the following five services which cover the whole lifecycle of their assets: future-shaping strategic consultancy; consultancy and advisory; digital technology solutions; asset optimisation and complex programme delivery. Our culture and values underpin everything we do.
Should you require any adjustments to support you in your application, please do not hesitate to contact us: email@example.com
We welcome all applicants regardless of age, race, faith, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, socioeconomic background and physical or neurological disabilities.
We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need for dynamic working. Such as, working part-time, remote working, or compressed hours. In return, we will explore what is possible.
To find out more about our Inclusion strategy, please visit our ED&I page:
Right to Work & Security Checks
Understandably given the nature of our business, everyone who is employed at Costain must undergo thorough referencing checks. We will need different information depending on the job we have offered you. For all roles, we'll carry out a criminal record check and we’ll ask to see evidence that you have the legal right to work in the UK.
For some of our roles, you may be required to obtain and maintain security clearance of at least Security Check level (or SC clearance). To satisfy the requirements, you will need to have been a legal UK resident for a minimum of 5 years and have successfully complete all stages of the vetting process.
Please note that Costain reserves the right to bring forward the closing date of any of its job vacancies if we receive a suitable number of quality applications from which to make a shortlist. Therefore, we recommend that you apply as soon as possible rather than wait until the published closing date.
A Disability Confident employer will generally offer an interview to any applicant that declares they have a disability and meets the minimum criteria for the job as defined by the employer. It is important to note that in certain recruitment situations such as high-volume, seasonal and high-peak times, the employer may wish to limit the overall numbers of interviews offered to both disabled people and non-disabled people.
For more details please go to the Disability Confident website: